+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Eligibility Criteria

pomfh.k

Sep 21, 2020
Hi All,
I got my PR in Oct-2019 but have not moved to Canada till now from the USA, due to work issues and Covid. In Oct-2021, i will have 3 years left on my PR. I wanted to know if i have to move immediately to Canada to avoid any issues on my PR in the future.
What are the various eligibility criteria's for maintaining the Permanent Residency and Citizenship?
Wanted to know if there is anything i need to present at the port of entry as I am planning to move given the US-Canada border will be opening soon.

Any help regarding this will be very much helpful.
Thanks in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi All,
I got my PR in Oct-2019 but have not moved to Canada till now from the USA, due to work issues and Covid. In Oct-2021, i will have 3 years left on my PR. I wanted to know if i have to move immediately to Canada to avoid any issues on my PR in the future.
What are the various eligibility criteria's for maintaining the Permanent Residency and Citizenship?
Wanted to know if there is anything i need to present at the port of entry as I am planning to move given the US-Canada border will be opening soon.

Any help regarding this will be very much helpful.
Thanks in advance.
The residency obligation for PR requires you to live in Canada for 2 out of every 5 rolling years. If you landed in October 2019, this means you need to return October 2022 at the latest. However if you wait this long, then you'll need to live in Canada for 2 years straight without leaving to meet the residency obligation. You just need to present your PR card to enter.

To qualify for citizenship, you need to have lived in Canada for 3 out of the previous 5 years before you apply.