+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card renewal (Work history of outside Canada)

takaincanada

May 28, 2024
Do I need to honestly fill in the work history for the period outside of Canada? Is it okay to just list it as vacation since I do not remember the exact period? Anyway they cannot check about it.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
At the risk of giving a far more serious response than what is requested . . .an over-the-top answer . . .

Do I need to honestly fill in the work history for the period outside of Canada? Is it okay to just list it as vacation since I do not remember the exact period? Anyway they cannot check about it.
Are you honestly asking if a PR needs to honestly provide information in an application for a PR card?

The instructions are plenty clear. That is, the instructions clearly mandate being truthful and complete in making a PR card application.

Moreover, the individual applying for a PR card must "certify" that "the information given . . . is correct, complete and accurate" and that they understand "that any false statements of a material fact may be grounds" for "prosecution or removal."

Omissions (the failure to disclose relevant facts) are considered misrepresentation. Details in employment history are considered "material" information even though there is no employment requirement.

Are you asking whether it is OK to engage in fraud?

Obviously, clearly, no doubt, kind of in the duh range: not only would making material misrepresentations in a PR card application be grounds for revoking status in Canada resulting in deportation, but that would be committing a criminal offence punishable by imprisonment. No one here should be providing any encouragement or assistance in perpetrating such crime (that too would be engaging in a criminal offence).

I personally, usually, steer wide of offering advice, but it is easy to give advice about something like this: best to be honest; best to NOT engage in crime.

Or are you asking whether you can engage in fraud and get-away-with-it?

If you are asking whether you can get-away with giving false or incomplete information (misrepresentation by omission), the chances of getting away with committing a crime depends on way too many factors to generally quantify the probability of ending up in jail. In particular, there is no way to quantify the risk of being criminally prosecuted for fraud (for misrepresentations of fact in a PR card application). That said, most of those getting prosecuted to the extent they are given prison sentences (which may or may not actually be served prior to deportation) tend to be unauthorized or otherwise crooked consultants who have engaged in multiple instances of fraud.

So the risk of criminal prosecution is probably quite low if not very low. Depending on the particular circumstances.

Of course there is typically a greater risk (compared to the risk of being charged and convicted of a criminal offence) that fraud will result in inadmissibility proceedings leading to the loss of PR status and deportation. Even this risk is very difficult to quantify. Obviously, the probabilities vary widely depending on the particular facts and circumstances in the individual case.

Not sure what statute of limitations there is for criminal prosecutions for fraud in a PR card application, but there is none limiting the time within which such misrepresentation can be grounds for revoking status . . . even if the individual has obtained Canadian citizenship, any fraud in the process of obtaining status in Canada or in obtaining entry into Canada can be grounds for revoking status for the individual's lifetime (grounds for revoking citizenship leading to loss of status altogether and deportation). That said, for those inclined to take such risks, generally the longer it goes without the fraud being detected, the better the odds are of getting-away-with-it.

In any event, apart from whether one is foolish enough to take the risk, hard to see any good reason for taking the risk, for concealing information about employment outside Canada.

All of which is the long way round to say "yes," yes an individual needs to honestly provide the information requested in a PR card application. But I'd guess you probably already understood that well enough.