+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Renewal Process

karan8625

Sep 30, 2021
Hi All,

I would like to know about the PR card renewal process. Can husband PR card be renewed on basis of spouse if she is living in Canada for 730 days and husband somehow not able to make the 730 days.

Also pls suggest if entry in Canada can be made near the PR expiration date then will the stay in Canada be considered legal even after the PR card expiration and what would be the prospects of PR card renewal in that case?

Please help and suggest. Thanks !!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi All,

I would like to know about the PR card renewal process. Can husband PR card be renewed on basis of spouse if she is living in Canada for 730 days and husband somehow not able to make the 730 days.

Also pls suggest if entry in Canada can be made near the PR expiration date then will the stay in Canada be considered legal even after the PR card expiration and what would be the prospects of PR card renewal in that case?

Please help and suggest. Thanks !!
No, the husband cannot renew his PR card based on his spouse living in Canada for 730 days. Each PR holder must meet the residency obligation independently in order to renew the PR card.

Yes, if entry to Canada can be made near the expiration date without being reported for failing to meet the residency requirement, you can remain in Canada legally without leaving until you have enough days to apply to renew your PR card.

Reactions: tobs

karan8625

Sep 30, 2021
Thanks for response. First part is very much clear. Thanks again!!. The second part where in u mentioned it can be done, but to clearly state from my part, if the entry is made near expiration date meaning , have not lived there for 730 days and to avoid loosing PR we are entering near expiration date lets say before 1 year of expiration.

Can we still keep on living for the next 2 years legally, I understand we cannot go outside which is fine but once we again clear the two years of living requirement we can file for renewal ? Please suggest if my understanding is correct.

Thanks !!

karan8625

Sep 30, 2021
No, the husband cannot renew his PR card based on his spouse living in Canada for 730 days. Each PR holder must meet the residency obligation independently in order to renew the PR card.

Yes, if entry to Canada can be made near the expiration date without being reported for failing to meet the residency requirement, you can remain in Canada legally without leaving until you have enough days to apply to renew your PR card.
Thanks for response. First part is very much clear. Thanks again!!. The second part where in u mentioned it can be done, but to clearly state from my part, if the entry is made near expiration date meaning , have not lived there for 730 days and to avoid loosing PR we are entering near expiration date lets say before 1 year of expiration.

Can we still keep on living for the next 2 years legally, I understand we cannot go outside which is fine but once we again clear the two years of living requirement we can file for renewal ? Please suggest if my understanding is correct.

Thanks !!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Thanks !!
If you re-enter Canada before the expiry of your PR card and you don't meet RO at the time you enter Canada, there's a chance you may be reported by CBSA and then have to appear at hearing to argue why you should be allowed to keep your PR status. If this happens, then you may lose PR status even though you re-enter Canada before your PR card expires.

If, on the other hand, you are not reported by CBSA, then you can legally remain in Canada for 2 straight years / until you meet the residency requirement and then apply to renew your PR card.

karan8625

Sep 30, 2021
If you re-enter Canada before the expiry of your PR card and you don't meet RO at the time you enter Canada, there's a chance you may be reported by CBSA and then have to appear at hearing to argue why you should be allowed to keep your PR status. If this happens, then you may lose PR status even though you re-enter Canada before your PR card expires.

If, on the other hand, you are not reported by CBSA, then you can legally remain in Canada for 2 straight years / until you meet the residency requirement and then apply to renew your PR card.
Thanks for such an important piece of information. My PR card is valid till 2025 March have not bene able to make it to Canada till now only went once to get the PR activated, in such scenario what is recommended to enter Canada and what timelines u suggest which should be under no scrutiny?

What is the chance of CBSA may question like above mentioned by you if entry is near PR expiration date? Is it a regular phenomenon that they dont allow people to enter if its nearing expiration date and RO is not met.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for such an important piece of information. My PR card is valid till 2025 March have not bene able to make it to Canada till now only went once to get the PR activated, in such scenario what is recommended to enter Canada and what timelines u suggest which should be under no scrutiny?

What is the chance of CBSA may question like above mentioned by you if entry is near PR expiration date? Is it a regular phenomenon that they dont allow people to enter if its nearing expiration date and RO is not met.
If you are reported by CBSA, you will still be allowed to enter Canada - but you'll need to appear at a hearing to argue why you should be allowed to keep your PR status.

I can't answer the rest of your questions or make any recommendations.

karan8625

Sep 30, 2021
If you are reported by CBSA, you will still be allowed to enter Canada - but you'll need to appear at a hearing to argue why you should be allowed to keep your PR status.

I can't answer the rest of your questions or make any recommendations.
Thank You so Much !!!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

pR card expiration is not what is important. What is important is meeting the 730 days in the first 5 years from your landing date or 730 days within the last 5 years after that.