+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Renewal - Expired card upon return to Canada

kennykill

Jun 15, 2011
Hi guys,

Quick question.

I'm currently living in Canada as a Permanent Resident. My PR card is set to expire on April 4th but according to my calculations, I'll be able to apply for renewal on March 25th. The reason it's so close to the expiry date is that I have to wait to accumulate 730 days before applying for renewal.

I would like to take a trip back to the UK for a wedding on Apr 3rd, so obviously I'll be leaving the country with a valid card which will expire while I'm out of the country. What would you advise I should do? It's a family members wedding so I really want to be there but I don't want to jeopardise my life here in Canada. If I apply before I leave would proof of application be sufficient to be allowed back into the country?

Thanks in advance.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Don't repeat your question. Leon has already gave you an answer in this older post:

Leon said:
If you are Irish and therefore visa exempt, you will be fine. If you were not visa exempt, you would have a problem getting on a plane to Canada without a valid PR card, PR travel document or other visa but as I said, this is not the case for you. Don't worry.

You may get hassled when you arrive in Canada and show immigration your expired card. Just tell them you have already applied for a new one.