+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Application - Multiple Criminal Records Requested - Why/Help!

CShowe

Mar 29, 2023
Hi all, I hope you can assist with this. I'm currently at the upload document stage of my PR application and have for some reason requested 3 criminal records which im quite confused about as I've only lived long-term in the UK (England and Scotland) and Canada. I've double-checked my travel history in case I've made an error but all my traveling is way under 6 months (the longest being around 3 weeks)

The weird thing is, that it doesn't even tell me which country they want the criminal record from. It just states Police Certificate 1 (Required), Police Certificate 2 (Required), Police Certificate 3 (Required).

Has anyone come across this and how do I fix this issue? I was told that don't need a police check for my time spent in Canada so technically I should only need 1 police certificate from the UK - I'm Scottish but lived in England for 6 years so I'm assuming they've classed these as 2 separate countries, but confused about the 3rd police cert.

Your help and advice are much appreciated!

canadasj

Star Member
Sep 29, 2023
Hi,

Occasionally, the IRCC website displays "Police Certificate 1 (Required)" instead of showing the actual country name.
  • I have observed with Employment Experience document checklist also.
  • You can resolve this by logging out and logging back in, waiting for some time, or trying a different browser.
  • Next time you see the checklist - take a screenshot to remember which Certificate # corresponds to which country.

Regarding your question about Police Certificates for different countries:
  • What is your current country of residence?
  • Which countries did you also mention in your address history?
  • I think for a police certificate, IRCC considers address history (or a combination of address/travel history) to identify which police certificates you require.
Let's assume your current country of residence is Scotland​
  • You lived 6+ months in the last 10 years in Scotland, England, and Canada.
    • So, in this case, you will be asked to submit a Police Certificate for Scotland, England, and Canada.
But, only if your current country of residence is Canada​
  • In that case, IRCC would ask you for Police Certificates for Scotland, and England
    • IRCC would be able to review your details on their own for Canada as you are a resident of Canada.

Please note that these responses are based on my understanding and information from various forums and posts.

For any doubts or specific advice, it's always a good idea to consult with an immigration lawyer recommended by IRCC.