+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Application Inland or Outland for Spouse

Vengance

Star Member
Oct 18, 2014
Hello All,

I am a Canadian PR from India. I got married in Nov 2017 when I was back home and planning to apply for Spousal PR under Family Class.

Currently I have applied my spouse's visitor visa. If her visitor visa is approved and she comes here, and I apply for Spousal PR from Inland (within Canada), what are the things I need to consider? How is it different as compared to Outland application? Which one would be a better option?

Does CIC have any specifics that needs to be followed while considering Outland or Inland applications?

Any information on this would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I would try and see if you can get a TRV first. It is usually quite difficult especially if you have just gotten married. They will assume you are not a true visitor and plan on applying for spousal sponsorship. If you are able to get a TRV your wife would be able to apply for a work permit at the same time as the inland sponsorship but she will need to remain in Canada during the sponsorship process. Both inland and outland take approximately 12 months. You can do outland while in India or in Canada. You can't get a work permit with outland sponsorship but you are allowed to leave the country. I think you will likely be refused for a TRV and will have to do an outland spousal sponsorship.

Vengance

Star Member
Oct 18, 2014
I would try and see if you can get a TRV first. It is usually quite difficult especially if you have just gotten married. They will assume you are not a true visitor and plan on applying for spousal sponsorship. If you are able to get a TRV your wife would be able to apply for a work permit at the same time as the inland sponsorship but she will need to remain in Canada during the sponsorship process. Both inland and outland take approximately 12 months. You can do outland while in India or in Canada. You can't get a work permit with outland sponsorship but you are allowed to leave the country. I think you will likely be refused for a TRV and will have to do an outland spousal sponsorship.
Thank you for the reply!

In case here TRV is approved and she comes to Canada and we apply for Inland Spousal Application, then are there any restrictions where both the Sponsor and the Applicant cannot leave the country until the process is complete?

Does CIC provide any concrete information on Inland/Outland spousal application? I was looking for some info on their website, but did not find any.

Thanks in Advance!

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
Thank you for the reply!

In case here TRV is approved and she comes to Canada and we apply for Inland Spousal Application, then are there any restrictions where both the Sponsor and the Applicant cannot leave the country until the process is complete?

Does CIC provide any concrete information on Inland/Outland spousal application? I was looking for some info on their website, but did not find any.

Thanks in Advance!
Since you are a PR, you will be required to live in Canada throughout the entire duration of the sponsorship process, regardless of whether you choose inland or outland. Short trips outside of Canada are okay, but anything longer than a few weeks is not recommended. Canadian citizens are able to sponsor while living abroad, but PRs are not.

The information directly from IRCC in regards to inland and outland is limited, but here is some info about inland, which also includes information about your wife traveling while the application is processing:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html#incanada

Vengance

Star Member
Oct 18, 2014
Since you are a PR, you will be required to live in Canada throughout the entire duration of the sponsorship process, regardless of whether you choose inland or outland. Short trips outside of Canada are okay, but anything longer than a few weeks is not recommended. Canadian citizens are able to sponsor while living abroad, but PRs are not.

The information directly from IRCC in regards to inland and outland is limited, but here is some info about inland, which also includes information about your wife traveling while the application is processing:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html#incanada
Thank you KBH. That was quite useful.

Vengance

Star Member
Oct 18, 2014
My wife's TRV got approved and we are planning to file Inland spousal PR once she is here.

Thanks for all the help!

Cheers!

vrk1990

Star Member
Sep 28, 2017
My wife's TRV got approved and we are planning to file Inland spousal PR once she is here.

Thanks for all the help!

Cheers!
Hi,

Even I am same as your case. I am getting married in the month of may this year. Shall I apply for TRV before or apply after marriage ?

Vengance

Star Member
Oct 18, 2014
Hi,

Even I am same as your case. I am getting married in the month of may this year. Shall I apply for TRV before or apply after marriage ?
Hi,

Applying before marriage would increase the chances of her getting the TRV as to what I know.

Ask her to independently apply as a single applicant stating that she wants to visit Canada for vacation.

Depending on your country, you can process it through consultancy as well.

Reactions: Mohammed Gouse

AryaStark

Star Member
Jul 31, 2017

Thanks for all the help!

Cheers!
Hi,

Can you tell me the procedure your wife followed to get an approval on TRV before applying for PR? My name is listed in my spouse’s application as non-accompanying spouse and he is already in canada on his pr. personally, we would like to apply for inland sponsorship but iv been hearing cases of the TRV getting rejected in this case. can you tell me what all your wife showed to have her TRV approved?

Thanks!

Reactions: Mohammed Gouse

Vengance

Star Member
Oct 18, 2014
Hi @Vengance...

Can you pls respond on above query.

Thanks,
Kulsum
Hi, Sorry for the delayed reply.

We filed the TRV showing that my wife will be attending a family wedding here and will be visiting me for couple of weeks.

We filed it through consultancy and provided all the documents as per what they had asked for.

AryaStark

Star Member
Jul 31, 2017
Hi, Sorry for the delayed reply.

We filed the TRV showing that my wife will be attending a family wedding here and will be visiting me for couple of weeks.

We filed it through consultancy and provided all the documents as per what they had asked for.
Hey...

Thanks a lot for your response! :)

I just have one more ques- Is there a reason your spouse gave in the Visitor Visa form reg not applying for Outland PR yet?

Vengance

Star Member
Oct 18, 2014
Hey...

Thanks a lot for your response! :)

I just have one more ques- Is there a reason your spouse gave in the Visitor Visa form reg not applying for Outland PR yet?
The reason was Outland Dependent Process takes around a year to Process. With the TRV, you can apply for Open Work Permit along with your Inland Application.

ateotia11

Feb 7, 2018
Hi,

Can you tell me the procedure your wife followed to get an approval on TRV before applying for PR? My name is listed in my spouse’s application as non-accompanying spouse and he is already in canada on his pr. personally, we would like to apply for inland sponsorship but iv been hearing cases of the TRV getting rejected in this case. can you tell me what all your wife showed to have her TRV approved?

Thanks!
Hello, were you able to get the TRV while listed as a non-accompanying spouse?