+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR application + application for unrestricted work permit

Mar 3, 2009
I am currently in Canada on a work permit that restricts me from working anywhere else but my current employer. I am married to a Canadian and last week have submitted my PR + Spousal Sponsorship application, along with an application for an open work permit (in the same envelope). Sent it to Vegreville, AB.

My questions is, how long will it take to get the open WP? I understand that I will be on implied status as the PR application is under review.

I think I might loose my current job due to the economy, and I have already lined up another job, which I can't accept until I have the open WP. I called the CIC call-center and they said I had to wait 6-7 months??? The CIC website says 20 days! I'm confused....

AMB

Star Member
Nov 19, 2008
CPC Vegreville is going to process the application for the open work permit once it reaches the First Stage of Approval, so yes, it's going to be about 6-7 months from the time you submitted the application (most likely).

If you were applying for an open work permit for the first time, (for example, if you were a refugee claimant, or if you reached the first stage of approval and THEN sent the application in), it would be processed in around 20 days.

You did the right thing by sending the app for OWP at the time of the application- you just need to be patient now :( That's the name of the game for in-land sponsorship.

Mar 3, 2009
Thanks for responding AMB!

I can't wait 6-7 months. I am in recruitment and my employer moved me to a 100% commission plan (it was either that or he had to let me go) so my income will be significantly reduced. I need another job and have one lined up!

I'm taking the copies of my PR and WP to the local CIC office in Toronto tomorrow to see whether it can be expedited. I don't mind begging if I really need to... If I don't shoot, I will always miss.

If that fails, then I guess my only option is for my new potential employer to get a positive labour market opinion from HRSDC and then get a new restricted WP.

What say you?

AMB

Star Member
Nov 19, 2008
I am guessing it will not be expedited- even if you beg. Sorry.

I think your only option is what you mentioned about the LMO from HRSDC, but those don't exactly get approved over-night either.

All the best.

Mar 3, 2009
Begging didn't work :)

Had a job interview afterward, company wants to hire me, but they say that they won't be able to apply for LMO as conditions wouldn't be met. However, they are giving me a letter stating they want to bring me on board as soon as possible - once I have an open WP.

My question is, will that letter provide me with any leverage if I were to go back to the local CIC office? Is there anything possible on compassionate grounds? Should I get legal help?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry, this is the way the system works. You can talk to your MP if you want. He might be able to pull some strings but no guarantees. Worth a try anyway.