+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR and landing

kizaru

Dec 21, 2023
Hi
Me and my wife are hoping that we would be getting PR soon and we would be moving soon. However, I feel that after we move there, there is a possibility we might get divorced. Cutting it chase, we still argue about where would we want to live there.

I have read a bit about fault/ no fault divorce and I am still confused. How would it appear on the citizenship stage, if we get divorced shortly after that? she would be doing the landing first, and I would be landing 2 months later due to my job. I fear that in those two month if we dont reach a compromise, divorce would be something that we would be looking at. How would that affect the future?

And secondly, I have heard that if you sponsor someone, and then divorce them, you cannot sponsor anyone for the next 5 years. Would it still apply to my wife's case? Since she's the primary applicant, but at the same time this is not sponsorship case?

Any input would be appreciated.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi
Me and my wife are hoping that we would be getting PR soon and we would be moving soon. However, I feel that after we move there, there is a possibility we might get divorced. Cutting it chase, we still argue about where would we want to live there.

I have read a bit about fault/ no fault divorce and I am still confused. How would it appear on the citizenship stage, if we get divorced shortly after that? she would be doing the landing first, and I would be landing 2 months later due to my job. I fear that in those two month if we dont reach a compromise, divorce would be something that we would be looking at. How would that affect the future?

And secondly, I have heard that if you sponsor someone, and then divorce them, you cannot sponsor anyone for the next 5 years. Would it still apply to my wife's case? Since she's the primary applicant, but at the same time this is not sponsorship case?

Divorce but you still care about your wife? Can't you both keep your marriage, live in the same country or city but separate buildings?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi

How long were you dating before marriage if you were able to Western-style date and how long have you been married?. Were you living in the same city or country during the duration of your relationship? How did your wife qualify for PR? If there were concerns that your relationship had already broken down before you came to Canada yes there could be an issue in the future. The best thing would be to figure out whether you want to continue this relationship before coming to Canada especially if one doesn’t want to move to Canada. In most of Canada living on a single income is tough, moving is expensive and leaving a stable job if you don’t have a new one secured is always a risk so those are some of the consideration that should come up when speaking about whether a couple can see themselves together for the foreseeable future. You can’t come to Canada as a dependent knowing that you plan on separating in the months after arrival. Unless this is a sponsorship application there should not be any waiting period to sponsor another spouse. You will have to wait for a year to initiate the divorce and expect increased scrutiny when it comes to your new sponsorship application and your previous relationship and your’s current’s spouses PR application where you were a dependent. IRCC will want to ensure your relationship was fine when you landed in Canada and problems in your relationship really started to get serious after you had setlled in Canada.