+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Potential Dilemma trying to get One Year Continuous Work Expereince

BrandonC

Jun 21, 2022
I have an interview for a potential job coming up; however I couldn't wait and needed to seek some assistance and guidance as I would like to know what options I have based on this job, in the event I do get the job and have to decide if I will accept it or not.

So I want to eventually apply for a Canadian PR via Express Entry though the Federal Skilled Worker Program, however, one of the requirements is one year continuous work experience. Now this criteria is pretty straightforward, particularly for persons in traditional careers with traditional work hours, however trying to meet this is a bit different for me and I'm wondering if anyone here could assist me.

So when I do apply it will be under NOC (2273) (old system)/ NOC 72602(new system) Deck Officers, Water Transport and although this NOC is an eligible one, the nature of the job makes it extremely difficult to meet this one year continuous criteria. The reason being is that ships work around the clock, so that's 24/7 365 days and those that work on ships will work in a rotation where they work x amount of time onboard and then have y amount of time off which then someone else will come in and fill in for them when they are off.

With regards to the job offer it would be one week on/one week off while being employed full time (not contractual). Now if you are a keen observer you can already see why I think I have a dilemma; and that's in order to have one year continuous work experience I would need at least 30 hours a week (so every week) for 52 weeks. However, in my case I will only be meeting that requirement every other week as the week in between I will be off. In other words, although I may be employed with the same company for one year, technically I wont be getting 1560 hours within that year as every other week I will be off. As a result of this dilemma, I don't know where I would stand if I do get the job ? and if I would ever be able to meet this one year continuous work experience using this NOC, as international law states that the maximum time one can work on a ship is 11 months .

Any assistance or guidance will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.