+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Postponing COPR / PR travel document

pt_jlo

Feb 7, 2019
I do have a COPR and will be settling in Canada soon. Six weeks after my arrival I would like to attend my sister's wedding abroad. In my view there are two options:
A) I will enter with a visitor visa first and will use my COPR after I am back from the wedding.
B) I enter by using the COPR. In case my PR card has not arrived before I leave for the wedding, I will apply for the PR travel document to get back into Canada.

My questions:
1) Which solution do you recommend?
2) Am I actually able to immigrate with a visitor visa even though I do have a COPR already?
3) How likely is it that an application for a PR travel document is approved in my scenario given that I was clearly advised not to leave the country until my PR card has arrived?
4) Do other solutions come to mind?

PS: some feedback on this forum: without this community of people constantly answering these numerous questions my way to getting PR would have been impossible. Be aware that you are of incredible help to lots of applicants and please keep up the good work. It makes our lives a lot easier!

tobs

VIP Member
May 25, 2018
Nigeria
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-07-2018
AOR Received.
10-07-2018
Passport Req..
04-01-2019
I do have a COPR and will be settling in Canada soon. Six weeks after my arrival I would like to attend my sister's wedding abroad. In my view there are two options:
A) I will enter with a visitor visa first and will use my COPR after I am back from the wedding.
B) I enter by using the COPR. In case my PR card has not arrived before I leave for the wedding, I will apply for the PR travel document to get back into Canada.

My questions:
2) Am I actually able to immigrate with a visitor visa even though I do have a COPR already?
3) How likely is it that an application for a PR travel document is approved in my scenario given that I was clearly advised not to leave the country until my PR card has arrived?

PS: some feedback on this forum: without this community of people constantly answering these numerous questions my way to getting PR would have been impossible. Be aware that you are of incredible help to lots of applicants and please keep up the good work. It makes our lives a lot easier!
I don't think your option A is an option. You have to land as a PR the next time you arrive in Canada now that you have a COPR.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

My questions:

If you have a valid TRV, then option A is certainly possible and probably the easiest thing to do.

If you have a valid US visa, then another option would be to enter using your COPR and then re-enter Canada through a US/Canada land border. If you do that, no PRTD is required.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

My questions:

To answer your questions.

1) I would go with A.
2) You cannot immigrate with a visitor visa. If you go with option A, then you will be entering the first time as a temporary visitor only. You won't be immigrating until you come back from the wedding and use your COPR.
3) PRTD will certainly be approved. It might just take a while.
4) See my post above.