+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post graduation work permit

cistus777

Mar 28, 2009
Hi,

I'm an internation student in Montreal, and finishing up the undergraduate study.

I just took the last final exam last night, and awaiting for the results.

I was expecting to graduate at the end of May, but there is strong possibility that I might fail one course and have to take supplementary exam on August.

If that happens, I might have to wait until November to get a diploma (but would get graduation notification on September)

Here's the problem. My study permit expires at the end of July.

According to CIC, I have to hold valid study permit to apply for post grad work permit.

After July, I won't be able to apply for extention of current study permit since I won't be a full time student (I have no intention to register one more semester)

In my case, can I apply for post grad work-permit even if I'm one course short to graduate?

CIC website says the following,
• If in your last semester of study you are registered as a part-time student because you only need a few courses to graduate, but you have been studying full-time during your studies, you are eligible to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit.

I'm not sure the above information applies to my situation.

Hope to hear from any of you soon.

Thanks.

anon123

Jul 19, 2013
I know this is an old post but I'm replying in case anyone finds it via search.

can I apply for post grad work-permit even if I'm one course short to graduate?
No. You need to meet your degree's graduation requirements. If you're one course short, you fail to meet those requirements.

CIC website says the following,
• If in your last semester of study you are registered as a part-time student because you only need a few courses to graduate, but you have been studying full-time during your studies, you are eligible to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit.
This is under the assumption that you meet the requirements to graduate. You need to have studied full-time, but you are still eligible if you finished the last bit of your studies part-time.