+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post-Graduation Work Permit - Pls help

Kh4545

Jun 16, 2018
Hi

I have a 3 year Post-Graduation Work Permit that will expire in around 10 months. I am not right now in Canada. I would like to know if I can get a job contract (for at least a year) in Canada based on this PGWP? I will apply for Express Entry or a Bridge of work permit after I started working. Will it work this way?

Right now with this question in my mind I think although I have a work permit, but I am not sure if I am qualified to work. This is because the minimum length of the jobs in my filed seems to be at least one year. What should I do now?

I would welcome any advice,

thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi

I have a 3 year Post-Graduation Work Permit that will expire in around 10 months. I am not right now in Canada. I would like to know if I can get a job contract (for at least a year) in Canada based on this PGWP? I will apply for Express Entry or a Bridge of work permit after I started working. Will it work this way?

Right now with this question in my mind I think although I have a work permit, but I am not sure if I am qualified to work. This is because the minimum length of the jobs in my filed seems to be at least one year. What should I do now?

I would welcome any advice,

thank you
Your question is a bit confusing.

At this time you are only allowed to work until your PGWP expires. You can certainly get a job contract for a year - however you'll have to stop working as soon as your PGWP expires (unless you are able to obtain another work permit).

You need at least one year of full time paid work experience to apply under Express Entry. Do you have at least one year of full time paid work experience at this time?

You cannot apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit until you have received ITA through Express Entry (meaning your profile has been selected) and you have submitted your complete application for processing. Right now you must have a score of 440+ to be selected.

Reactions: Kh4545

Kh4545

Jun 16, 2018
Your question is a bit confusing.

At this time you are only allowed to work until your PGWP expires. You can certainly get a job contract for a year - however you'll have to stop working as soon as your PGWP expires (unless you are able to obtain another work permit).

You need at least one year of full time paid work experience to apply under Express Entry. Do you have at least one year of full time paid work experience at this time?

You cannot apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit until you have received ITA through Express Entry (meaning your profile has been selected) and you have submitted your complete application for processing. Right now you must have a score of 440+ to be selected.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

My bad for being confusing. Yes, I do have one year Canadian paid work experience and I think I will score above 440. I am preparing for English test, which I am hopping to get a high score too.

My concern was to be able to apply for jobs NOW while my PGWP is still valid. Having a job in Canada is pretty critical. Besides the obvious financial reasons, it is essential for keeping the work experiences and connections fresh.

So, I can freely apply and get a job for a year, but, I have to stop working as soon as my PGWP expires? What other options would I have for another work work permit, as you mentioned?

Thank you very much

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

My bad for being confusing. Yes, I do have one year Canadian paid work experience and I think I will score above 440. I am preparing for English test, which I am hopping to get a high score too.

My concern was to be able to apply for jobs NOW while my PGWP is still valid. Having a job in Canada is pretty critical. Besides the obvious financial reasons, it is essential for keeping the work experiences and connections fresh.

So, I can freely apply and get a job for a year, but, I have to stop working as soon as my PGWP expires? What other options would I have for another work work permit, as you mentioned?

Thank you very much
Yes - as of now, you must stop working as soon as your PGWP expires.

To get another work permit, your employer would either need to obtain an approved LMIA so that you can apply for a closed work permit. Or you would need to qualify for a Bridging Open Work Permit. To qualify for a BOWP, you need to apply and be accepted under an immigration program - you also need to have submitted your complete application (after being selected) and have received confirmation that your application has been accepted.