+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) Refusal due to confusing deadline

panpan43

Jan 21, 2016
Hi my PGWP was recently rejected by CIC, where I believe I did everything correctly and CIC made a mistake. I wonder if anyone can help me or give some advice. Thank you!

I studied a one-year full time master program in Schulich School of Business and completed all courses on August 2015. Because my study permit expires on September 2015, so I applied PGWP online in August.
On 22 Dec 2015, the CIC Online System sent me a message, requiring me to upload a letter from my school to confirm my graduation, within '7 days'. But the message didn't specify whether it's 7 calendar days or 7 business days. However, when I clicked the document upload page, it showed the deadline for me to upload this letter is 7 Jan 2016, which makes more sense. On the next day, I called CIC contact center again and the agent confirmed to me again it should be 7 business days and I should view 7 Jan 2016 as the deadline.

However, on 5 Jan 2016, when calling CIC Contact center to clarify how to submit the letter, I was told by an CIC agent that my application was rejected because I was not able to upload the letter on 29 Dec 2015, which is 7 days from 22 Dec 2015. I was really shocked by this because both the online system and the agent I called previously instructed me to upload by 7 Jan 2016. (What's funny was that during the Christmas vacation, the deadline shown in document upload page even jumped to 18 Jan 2016 and then 28 Jan 2016, but I still deemed 7 Jan 2016 as my 'true' deadline). BY this time, the online system still showing my application as open. So although I was very shocked and frustrated, I still successfully submitted the required letter on 6 Jan 2016. However, just on 7 Jan 2016, I received an online refusal message stating I was refused because not able to provide the school letter on time.

I understand CIC has high workload and they work hard, but I still believe this refusal is a mistake from CIC. I was clearly instructed to submit the school letter by 7 Jan 2016 and that's what I did. And think about this, how could CIC ask someone to get a letter from school and upload within 7 calendar days during Christmas? I believe even the one who sent out the first message to me wanted me to upload by 7 business days (otherwise why 7 Jan 2016 was shown in the upload page?), but for some reason, some other officer simply made the decision based on '7 calendar days'. Or I was even thinking maybe the decision was automatically made by an internal system rather than human review..

After repeated explanations to the CIC Contact Center, they sent a reconsideration request on my application. However, they cannot tell me how long it will take for the reconsideration and before that, I was not able to do anything. My most concern was that they might not really perform this reconsideration and keep the refusal decision. I wonder if anyone in the forum encountered similar things before and please let me know if I can do anything to improve my situation. I was so frustrated about this.

Thank you!