+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) specific questions

GurinJaw

Jan 6, 2020
Hello everyone!
I have a couple of specific questions regarding the Post Graduate Work Permit that I was wondering about:

Assuming I apply for a PGWP after graduating from a Masters program as an international student:

1. If my PGWP is about to expire within 6 months for example and my current 1-year work contract is over, is it possible to receive a new job offer for another year at the same employer even if the new offer passes the expiration date of my current work permit? Having in mind that in the future, I will extend the work permit before it expires through a bridging open work permit after applying for Express Entry, so I will still be eligible to work in Canada for that period. Or would I have to wait until I receive the bridging open work permit before receiving a new job offer? Other information I gathered is that I can still work while waiting to receive the bridging open work permit even if my current work permit expires as long as I've applied to the extension before my current work permit expires.

2. Does having PGWP make me exempt from needing LMIA? As in, can I legally work anywhere I want without the employers needing to go through the hassle of the LMIA to hire me?

Thank you all for your time!