+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Possible pathways for non skilled worker

SerenityRain

Jul 3, 2024
Hello, first of all thanks for any time anyone takes to answer. I've tried researching options on my own but it feels like it all pertains to skilled workers who already have their job requirements and I'm at a loss at how to go about getting a work visa/perm res for someone who would like to acquire experience for skilled work in Canada and remain here.

My partner lives in the US and only has his high school diploma, with some experience in carpentry through Job Corps but did not finish the program and has no other qualifications. While trying to immigrate to Canada (specifically New Brunswick) we thought initially the best way was for him to try to get a direct entry apprenticeship in a NOC TEER 2 trade with an employer under the Atlantic Immigration Program so he could apply for express entry. But as I'm reading I realized both the skilled worker and skilled trade programs, as well as AIP all state they have to have previous work experience in that skilled trade on top of the offer of employment. So it seems that option is now out the window.

I've done so much reading and I can't seem to find any solutions. What options does someone have to move here when they aren't a skilled worker? (You know, short of getting married and having to take on a period of undertaking while I'm on disability lol)

I greatly appreciate any advice anyone can give. All of these different streams I'm reading about all sound like they have the same requirements so I'm just confused how anyone gets around it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello, first of all thanks for any time anyone takes to answer. I've tried researching options on my own but it feels like it all pertains to skilled workers who already have their job requirements and I'm at a loss at how to go about getting a work visa/perm res for someone who would like to acquire experience for skilled work in Canada and remain here.

My partner lives in the US and only has his high school diploma, with some experience in carpentry through Job Corps but did not finish the program and has no other qualifications. While trying to immigrate to Canada (specifically New Brunswick) we thought initially the best way was for him to try to get a direct entry apprenticeship in a NOC TEER 2 trade with an employer under the Atlantic Immigration Program so he could apply for express entry. But as I'm reading I realized both the skilled worker and skilled trade programs, as well as AIP all state they have to have previous work experience in that skilled trade on top of the offer of employment. So it seems that option is now out the window.

I've done so much reading and I can't seem to find any solutions. What options does someone have to move here when they aren't a skilled worker? (You know, short of getting married and having to take on a period of undertaking while I'm on disability lol)

I greatly appreciate any advice anyone can give. All of these different streams I'm reading about all sound like they have the same requirements so I'm just confused how anyone gets around it.
There isn't an obvious path to me given his level of education and work experience. Economic immigration to Canada is competitive.

Apprenticeship opportunities are generally limited for non-Canadians. And yes, AIP requires previous work experience as well as a job offer. Pretty much all economic immigration programs require work experience.

Does your partner have the funds to come to Canada on a study permit to study here full time? This requires someone to have substantial savings but would open up options for him.

If your partner doesn't have the funds, then getting married and having you sponsor him is the most obvious path.

Failing that, I would say your partner should focus on gaining the required work experience and certifications while continuing to live in the US for another few years and then look to immigrate to Canada once he has a stronger profile. In his case, it sounds like the best path forward would be to complete education and formal certification as a carpenter (i.e. through an apprenceship in the US) and then gaining at least one year of full time work experience.

I believe some provinces have options through food counter attendant workers (for people already working in Canada on work permits who have job offers). However I'm not aware of any programs like this through the maritime provinces. Wait and see what others recommend.

Last edited:
Reactions: SerenityRain

SerenityRain

Jul 3, 2024
There isn't an obvious path to me given his level of education and work experience. Economic immigration to Canada is competitive.

Apprenticeship opportunities are generally limited to non-Canadians. And yes, AIP requires previous work experience as well as a job offer. Pretty much all economic immigration programs require work experience.

Does your partner have the funds to come to Canada on a study permit to study here full time? This requires someone to have substantial savings but would open up options for him.

If your partner doesn't have the funds, then getting married and having you sponsor him is the most obvious path.

Failing that, I would say your partner should focus on gaining the required work experience and certifications while continuing to live in the US for another few years and then look to immigrate to Canada once he has a stronger profile. In his case, it sounds like the best path forward would be to complete education and formal certification as a carpenter (i.e. through an apprenceship in the US) and then gaining at least one year of full time work experience.

I believe some provinces have options through food counter attendant workers (for people already working in Canada on work permits who have job offers). However I'm not aware of any programs like this through the maritime provinces. Wait and see what others recommend.
Hey, thanks for such a quick response! Yeah we discussed the student thing as well and he would have to save quite a while to do it, especially considering the increased fees for international students and the fact his working ability would be limited. Me being on disability makes it even harder as I barely support myself. Expanding on this route, my understanding is that an apprenticeship program at something like NBCC is 20% in class and 80% paid work. A student visa has work limitations, how would that work out if most of the program IS work?

I'm not necessarily opposed to the marriage route LOL but where I'm on limited income and unsure if I will ever return to work, the 3 year period of undertaking I would have to sign up for with a partner visa doesn't feel responsible.

Edit to add: The issue with him continuing trade education in the US is that when coming to Canada, it won't count and he will have to start all over which is why we want him to start here.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey, thanks for such a quick response! Yeah we discussed the student thing as well and he would have to save quite a while to do it, especially considering the increased fees for international students and the fact his working ability would be limited. Me being on disability makes it even harder as I barely support myself. Expanding on this route, my understanding is that an apprenticeship program at something like NBCC is 20% in class and 80% paid work. A student visa has work limitations, how would that work out if most of the program IS work?

I'm not necessarily opposed to the marriage route LOL but where I'm on limited income and unsure if I will ever return to work, the 3 year period of undertaking I would have to sign up for with a partner visa doesn't feel responsible.

Edit to add: The issue with him continuing trade education in the US is that when coming to Canada, it won't count and he will have to start all over which is why we want him to start here.
I'm not familiar with NBCC's specific programs. You may want to reach out to the school directly.

For the study permit to be feasible, he's basically need to show a bank balance of at least $21,000 CAD. So that's the savings target if he decides to go this route.

SerenityRain

Jul 3, 2024
I'm not familiar with NBCC's specific programs. You may want to reach out to the school directly.

For the study permit to be feasible, he's basically need to show a bank balance of at least $21,000 CAD. So that's the savings target if he decides to go this route.
That balance, after having to pay like triple the amount in tuition? Jeez. Wild.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That balance, after having to pay like triple the amount in tuition? Jeez. Wild.
How do you expect people to support themselves financially while studying? Cost of living in NB is lower than average but if only working 20hrs/wk or not at all (by choice or due to lack of jobs) how can people afford to cover their basic costs?