+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Possibility of a PR through work permit extension

sageorge

Star Member
Jul 30, 2014
Hello,

I was hoping someone here could help me understand the possibility of this option working out- I have completed a one year course. If i were to apply for a PGWP and then apply for a work permit extension towards the end of the PGWP, could I then go ahead and apply for a PR. To elaborate, I dont think I will finish the entire 1520 hours in one year of my stay here. I could be positive, but if not, would applying for a work permit extension help my cause? I do have a company that is interested in sponsoring me, so LMIA would not be a problem.

The website is not very clear with the details. It says that after I " temporarily" work in Canada for four years then I cannot work for the next four years. There is no details as to the possibility of the extension leading to a PR.

Would appreciate any knowledge comment.

Thanks

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

sageorge said:
Hello,

I was hoping someone here could help me understand the possibility of this option working out- I have completed a one year course. If i were to apply for a PGWP and then apply for a work permit extension towards the end of the PGWP, could I then go ahead and apply for a PR. To elaborate, I dont think I will finish the entire 1520 hours in one year of my stay here. I could be positive, but if not, would applying for a work permit extension help my cause? I do have a company that is interested in sponsoring me, so LMIA would not be a problem.

The website is not very clear with the details. It says that after I " temporarily" work in Canada for four years then I cannot work for the next four years. There is no details as to the possibility of the extension leading to a PR.

Would appreciate any knowledge comment.

Thanks

1. PGWP is a once in a life time deal, you can't extend it. Only option is positive LMIA and get another work permit.

Jaiveer Singh

Aug 22, 2013
Delhi
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you have work experience in your home country then filing pr after one year will work for you otherwise go for second program instead of considering Lmia option.

labsag

Aug 24, 2015
yea as said..

PGWP is once in a life time.

You are not eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program if you: have previously been issued a Post-Graduation Work Permit following any other program of study.
as mentioned here.. w w w.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad-who.asp

So you can ask your employer to process a positive LMIA or need to find another employer who could do that.

May be once you have LMIA you can apply for Express Entry and obtain a PR which will give you option to work without a positive LMIA.