+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Certificate, addresses and tax residency for Citizenship application

Nov 14, 2017
Hi,

I am currently applying for citizenship and had a couple of questions regarding filling out the citizenship application given my time in the US as a student and worker during the PR period.

Details:
I was studying in the US (non US citizen) when I first did my soft landing in July 2017. I eventually moved to Canada in Aug 2019 after working in the US on an H1-B for a year. My partner was in Canada during the entire period from Sept 2017, I kept visiting him and as a result I do not have 183 continuous days in a row in the US.
For taxes, I filed only US taxes for 2017 and 2018, since I was not a Canadian tax resident till Aug 2019.

Questions:
1. Requirement for police certificate
I am not sure if I should mark the question "In the past 4 years, were you in a country or territory other than Canada for 183 days or more in a row (since the age of 18)?" as a Yes or No, since according to past addresses and tax history I was a US resident for a period > 183 days however according to travel history I do not have a continuous stay > 183 days outside of Canada (my max was 140 days). As a result it is unclear to me if I will need a US police certificate?

2. Address dates
I have a confusion as to how to fill up my address dates, since my lease in the US ended on July 31, 2019. However I have marked Aug 09 2019 as the day I landed in Canada in my tax form. Since I entered Canada on Aug 1 and left for US on vacation on Aug 5 and came back on Aug 9. So I am not sure what I should put as my address for the period Aug 1- Aug 9, since it seems that they expect continuous dates. It seems that it should still be the US address since on my tax form of 2019 I have indicated Aug 9 as the date I finally moved to Canada.