+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Points from LMIA-exempt job offer

pedrocoelho

Star Member
Nov 28, 2020
Hi everyone,

I'm applying for a closed work permit later this month with LMIA exemption code C16 for Mobilité Francophone. I've been working for over a year on my PGWP for the same employer who is providing the job offer for this new work permit application.

My understanding is that this job offer should increase my score in the Canadian Experience Class pool by 50 points, which would likely guarantee us an ITA. However, I’m unclear whether I’ll need to work for an additional year after my new work permit is issued to get the 50 points, or if I’m entitled to them immediately, since I’ve already been working for this employer for over a year. Does anyone know which is correct?

Here is IRCC's wording on the conditions for an LMIA-exempt job offer to be valid:
  • if you have a valid work permit for a NOC TEER 0, 1, 2 or 3 job that is exempt from needing an LMIA, and you:
    • are currently working for an employer specified on the work permit
    • have one year of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work) for that employer
    • have a valid job offer from that employer for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa
On the other hand, it seems these are the questions that need to be answered "Yes" for the points to be awarded:
- "Is [candidate's name]'s job offer from the employer named on the current work permit?" - Yes
- "Has [candidate's name] been working full-time for the employer on their current work permit for at least one year?" - Yes

I'm not sure if answering "Yes" to the second question would be appropriate in my situation (as soon as I receive my new work permit), though I would very much like it to be the case. By "on their current work permit," do they mean "working for the employer while on their current work permit," or "working for the employer named on their current work permit"?

I would really appreciate it if anyone could help. :)