+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pls help-visitor visa for mentally challenged sister

Abi2828

Jul 15, 2013
Pls help-----

I am a PR of canada and am married. I have been in canada as PR for six years and have well paying job (~ 100K per year)

My father is retired and I want to invite my parents to visit us in canada. I have only one elder sister and want her to apply for visitor visa along with my parents. The concern is she is mentally challenged (has down syndrome) and hence financially dependent on my parents and unmarried and her age is 32. She has had no education but can do her things on her own. She has diabetes and no other medical issues.

I am not sure if it is good idea to apply for her visitor visa as well since I heard/read that visa officer can reject my parents application too based on her medical inadmissibility !! Can any of you pls share your opinion/experience ?

I will be taking medical insurance for all of them. My father can show good ties to India in terms of property, bank balance etc and they have no foreign travel history.

Pls reply (parents will be applying from india), thanks.

Abi

* Is there any other option for her to visit canada? immigration?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Immigration is not an option. First of all, she is not a relative that you can sponsor. Secondly, based on the information you have provided, it's very likely she would be refused for medical reasons.

Your best and only bet is the visitor visa. Provide as much evidence as you can that you will support any medical expenses while she's here and/or have taken out health insurance - and include proof that all three of them will return home once their visit is over.

Good luck.

sakamath

Feb 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2008
Doc's Request.
Nov 2011
AOR Received.
17-May-2012
File Transfer...
8 Mar 2012
Med's Request
26-Nov-2012
Med's Done....
24-Dec-2012
Passport Req..
26-Nov-2012
VISA ISSUED...
App abandoned in July '14
Visit visas are generally issued to eligible applicants who are able to prove that they have very strong ties back to their home country that would prevent them from overstaying their visit. In your particular case, since your parents are retired and your sister is dependent on them, you should prepare an application that would demonstrate that the purpose of visit is only temporary. Such proofs could include a list of properties that your parents own and their worth, documents that states requirement of (prof of life?) to get pensions (person has to be physically present in order to continue to receive pension. A recent history of medications required by your sister - showing that medical expenses for her up-keep is minimal etc, would also help. What could also help is the reason for your parents and sister to be here - for example - a special occasion you would want to share with them, a trip to a different province is Canada - something to show that they would like to join you.

Hope this helps.

SKK18

Jul 2, 2014
Hi,

Any updates on the visa for your parents and sister. I'm in the same boat trying to compile documents for my mom and DS brother. I like them to visit me because my Dad passed away last year and my mom really needs me in this time. I have another brother who is in university and he won't join them to Canada. I think that's the biggest card I can play that he will be in India and my mom has to go back because she has her parents and a son in India. Please let me know if you have any update on visit visa ??

Thanks
SKK