+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

please help shed light on my questions

nnadalinn

Sep 11, 2014
Dear all,

I've started asking my questions in the "general" section of the forum, but it looks like it's about time I moved on to this section. I hope someone "in the know" will take the time to answer my questions here.

As I wrote in the general section, we're newly-weds in our 30s who would like to immigrate to Canada - with me as the principal applicant under 5125 (Translators, terminologists and interpreters) and my spouse having the status of an "accompanying spouse" only. Obviously we want to get all the forms and documents ready for sending in by the end of this year, as I think the new rules will have an adverse effect on our chances.

1. Would my proof of experience be enough under the following circumstances? Ever since I graduated with a master's degree in translation/interpreting, I have been working as what is officially listed "editor/reporter" for 7 years. Whilst the job position is officially called "editor/reporter", I have actually been a translator from my mother tongue into English (and vice versa, of course) some 95 percent of the time. Would this be okay for the purposes of our application under the 5125 eligible occupation? The title of the position is only a formal thing that is due to the character and organigram of the organisation (a news wire).

2. While having the aforementioned in-house job, I have - at the same time - been a freelance, working-from-home translator since 2008. I have translated quite a lot of documents for a few translation agencies over the past 6 years (part time and on a self-employed basis), and I think at least one or two of the agencies could be willing to make out reference letters to me. Would this help my case? Do any particular aspects of this freelance work from home need to be stressed in the reference letters?

3. What documents does my wife need to get together/fill out? She would certainly NOT take an IELTS exam, because her English isn't up to par for now. Does she need to provide proof of her education/experience if applying only as the accompanying spouse?

4. I'm told that not all documents necessarily need to be submitted with my application, and that the Immigration Bureau will simply request that I should submit the missing documents at a later date. Is that true?

Please help! Thanks!

namaste

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2014
Nomination.....
15-10-2014 (PER)
Med's Request
25-11-2014
Med's Done....
10-12-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
1) If you perform a significant amount of duties as mentioned in this link for NOC 5125, then you can apply for this NOC despite what the job title is.

http://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3VD.pl?Function=getVD&TVD=122372&CVD=122376&CPV=5125&CST=01012011&MLV=4&CLV=4

Remember that the same should also be mentioned in the experience letter by your employer.

2) If the above employment is already enough, then no need for the freelance work. Also, it might be quite difficult to gather documents proving freelance work. It will not add anything in value since it was done alongside your official employment.

3) Only basic documents as mentioned in the application checklist (passport, birth certificate, marriage certificate and photos need to be submitted). Ielts is not mandatory but will give you 5 extra points if taken by the spouse.

4) All the documents and forms that need to be submitted are in the application guideline and checklist. You should follow those VERY strictly. Usually, the only document that can be sent later when asked is police certificate. Everything else needs to be send with the application or it will be rejected without review.

Check the following link for everything you need (includes gulideline, forms, checklist)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/skilled.asp

nnadalinn

Sep 11, 2014
namaste said:
1) If you perform a significant amount of duties as mentioned in this link for NOC 5125, then you can apply for this NOC despite what the job title is.

Remember that the same should also be mentioned in the experience letter by your employer.

2) If the above employment is already enough, then no need for the freelance work. Also, it might be quite difficult to gather documents proving freelance work. It will not add anything in value since it was done alongside your official employment.
Thank you ever so much for your comprehensive answer, namaste! Can I ask you two more questions, please?

Regarding point 1) - The link you provided specifically excludes "editors". What am I supposed to make of this? :eek: Would our application be excluded just because there's the word "editor" in the name of my job position? Furthermore, whilst my job title is indeed "editor", I'm essentially a full-fledged translator, as I translate news stories between English and my mother tongue on a daily basis and have translated literally thousands of such articles over the past seven years. That means I could be considered "foreign news translator" (which is listed among the illustrative eligible examples), even though it is usually the word "editor" that is used in this sphere when it comes to rendering foreign news from one language into another in the media. At any rate, far be it from me to mislead anybody, but can I simply ask my employer to use the word something along the lines of "translator" in my reference letter regardless of what's in my contract? Again, I am essentially a translator despite whatever is in my contract.

Just to add one more point - I've just read the National Occupational Classification for editors (5122) and, judging by what editors do according to that classification, I'm certainly much closer to "translator" than "editor", even though a small part of what I do is indeed editing.

Regarding point 2) How about submitting past invoices or reference letters from the agencies that would specify the amount of work I have translated for them, i.e. the number of pages/words? The thing is that if the immigration bureau admits translators, how come there are so many difficulties with recognizing freelance work, i.e. self-employment? As far as I know, a sizable percentage of professional translators do their job on a freelance basis, simply because that's the nature of the profession.

Mind you, the website you've copy-pasted for me says that "Translators, terminologists and interpreters are employed by government, private translation and interpretation agencies, in-house translation services, large private corporations, international organizations and the media, or they may be self-employed." The last two items apply to me.

Sorry if my messages are too long-winded, it's because this is so important to me.

Anybody else, please feel free to weigh in too, I'll greatly appreciate it!

namaste

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2014
Nomination.....
15-10-2014 (PER)
Med's Request
25-11-2014
Med's Done....
10-12-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
nnadalinn said:
Thank you ever so much for your comprehensive answer, namaste! Can I ask you two more questions, please?

Regarding point 1) - The link you provided specifically excludes "editors". What am I supposed to make of this? :eek: Would our application be excluded just because there's the word "editor" in the name of my job position? Furthermore, whilst my job title is indeed "editor", I'm essentially a full-fledged translator, as I translate news stories between English and my mother tongue on a daily basis and have translated literally thousands of such articles over the past seven years. That means I could be considered "foreign news translator" (which is listed among the illustrative eligible examples), even though it is usually the word "editor" that is used in this sphere when it comes to rendering foreign news from one language into another in the media. At any rate, far be it from me to mislead anybody, but can I simply ask my employer to use the word something along the lines of "translator" in my reference letter regardless of what's in my contract? Again, I am essentially a translator despite whatever is in my contract.

Just to add one more point - I've just read the National Occupational Classification for editors (5122) and, judging by what editors do according to that classification, I'm certainly much closer to "translator" than "editor", even though a small part of what I do is indeed editing.

Regarding point 2) How about submitting past invoices or reference letters from the agencies that would specify the amount of work I have translated for them, i.e. the number of pages/words? The thing is that if the immigration bureau admits translators, how come there are so many difficulties with recognizing freelance work, i.e. self-employment? As far as I know, a sizable percentage of professional translators do their job on a freelance basis, simply because that's the nature of the profession.

Mind you, the website you've copy-pasted for me says that "Translators, terminologists and interpreters are employed by government, private translation and interpretation agencies, in-house translation services, large private corporations, international organizations and the media, or they may be self-employed." The last two items apply to me.

Sorry if my messages are too long-winded, it's because this is so important to me.

Anybody else, please feel free to weigh in too, I'll greatly appreciate it!
Now you cannot change what your designation is or what the contract say, can you? But the good news is that your NOC depends primarily on your job duties. The title really doesn't matter. Just make sure that the reference letters clearly mention that point.

I am not really sure what needs to be submitted as evidence of freelance work and doubt that many people here would know. I am sure freelance work is acceptable, but you would need to find out exactly what to show as acceptable evidence of that work. May be someone else here with a similar experience will be able to provide you clarity on that matter.

nnadalinn

Sep 11, 2014
namaste said:
Now you cannot change what your designation is or what the contract say, can you? But the good news is that your NOC depends primarily on your job duties. The title really doesn't matter. Just make sure that the reference letters clearly mention that point.
If that is the case, then i presume that the reference letter could simply contain something like this (I've found this particular template in one of the earlier threads):
TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN
This is to certify that Mr/Mrs/Miss [name] was an employee of this organization from [xx-xx-xxxx to xx-xx-xxxx] a [name of the position]. His/Her key duties and main responsibilities are following:
• A
• B
• C
• D
His/Her annual salary is $xx,xxxx.xx [in words] with company's full time (Forty Hours per week) employee benefits includes; medical, dental, vision, life insurance, paid vacation, 401k plan, employee assistance program and educational assistance.
If you have any further questions regarding Mr/Mrs/Miss [last name] please contact me without hesitation.

happydolphins

Sep 11, 2014
Hi I have somehow the same situation like this topic please review my case too. thanks

I am not allowed to post link please search this topic in skilled worker thread: " Skilled Worker as Translator ::: Please Shed some lights on my case ::: "

erravish

Sep 25, 2014
Hi Namaste,

You have mentioned that only Police verification document need to be submitted when asked.What about Proof of funds and medical certificate ..can it also be submitted when asked or do we need to send it along with the application ?

Best Regards