+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PLEASE HELP!! Changing from worker to visitor status!

helpmeee

Mar 18, 2021
Hello I am currently panicking. My work permit is expiring in less than a week and I was going to apply for a visitor extension/change of status and an immigration consultant just informed that for changes on work permits, I am only able to do that at least 30 days prior to the expiration or else I can’t anymore. But I thought the 30 days was only a suggestion?! Please help should I find a new immigration consultant? Or is she right? Do I have to leave?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello I am currently panicking. My work permit is expiring in less than a week and I was going to apply for a visitor extension/change of status and an immigration consultant just informed that for changes on work permits, I am only able to do that at least 30 days prior to the expiration or else I can’t anymore. But I thought the 30 days was only a suggestion?! Please help should I find a new immigration consultant? Or is she right? Do I have to leave?
The consultant is wrong and an idiot and should quit their day job because they obviously lack an understanding of some of the most basic IRCC rules.

You are right. The 30 days is only a sugestion. It is not mandatory. As long as the application reaches IRCC before your work permit expires, you are fine (although I woiuldn't suggest you apply on the last day).

Yes, find a new immigration consultant. Better yet, do it yourself. Too much wrong / bad advice from immigration consultants. Use an immigration lawyer if you want professional help.

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

helpmeee

Mar 18, 2021
Thank you so much for this… lost so much sleep over this and had to take a couple anxiety pills. Luckily they weren’t suppose to do our application for us, we were just using them to ask occasional questions. Unfortunately I’m not sure how much I can afford to chat with a lawyer, but if you have any specific lawyer recommendations let me know! I don’t need someone to handle the file, I just need some guidance. Again, thank you for that.

helpmeee

Mar 18, 2021
They also advised us (we have pending PR app as well, outland and just received PPR) to just send our documents to the NYC VAC when we already informed the IRCC we are physically present in Canada. They said just do that anyways, and everyone else told me that would complicate things extremely and advised us not to do that. Also bullshit advice?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you so much for this… lost so much sleep over this and had to take a couple anxiety pills. Luckily they weren’t suppose to do our application for us, we were just using them to ask occasional questions. Unfortunately I’m not sure how much I can afford to chat with a lawyer, but if you have any specific lawyer recommendations let me know! I don’t need someone to handle the file, I just need some guidance. Again, thank you for that.
You don't need a lawyer or consultant. You can apply yourself.

If you have questions, ask them here and maybe we can all help you.

However I can 100% guarantee that the 30 day thing that the consultant told you is wrong. This is very basic knowledge. That consultant is incompetent and shouldn't be charging for advice. As long as your application reaches IRCC before your WP expires, it's fine. The 30 days is guidance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
They also advised us (we have pending PR app as well, outland and just received PPR) to just send our documents to the NYC VAC when we already informed the IRCC we are physically present in Canada. They said just do that anyways, and everyone else told me that would complicate things extremely and advised us not to do that. Also bullshit advice?
You need to provide full details. How have you applied for PR? Through which program?

helpmeee

Mar 18, 2021
You need to provide full details. How have you applied for PR? Through which program?
Yes sorry. Sponsorship for my spouse, he’s American. App received May 17 2021 and PPR was received last Saturday. We informed them previously we were physically present in Canada in February via web form and said we would stay 3-6 months, in May plans changed and my spouse received a temporary contract in Canada and flagpoled to activate his temp work permit on May 16th this year, I then also informed IRCC that he would be here on this status until august 23rd. And 2 weeks ago I decided to start the application to extend/change his status.

edit:applied via mail, and i’m not sure why they processed the app to do the whole process outside Canada when we informed them twice we were here with our full plans, but alas after speaking to a few different people I was told to let them know we are in Canada so I did that. And then since then I haveheard various rules from different people that contradict each other and I’m so confused as to what I can and cannot do and whether I’ve fucked up my spouses file completely or not.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes sorry. Sponsorship for my spouse, he’s American. App received May 17 2021 and PPR was received last Saturday. We informed them previously we were physically present in Canada in February via web form and said we would stay 3-6 months, in May plans changed and my spouse received a temporary contract in Canada and flagpoled to activate his temp work permit on May 16th this year, I then also informed IRCC that he would be here on this status until august 23rd. And 2 weeks ago I decided to start the application to extend/change his status.

edit:applied via mail, and i’m not sure why they processed the app to do the whole process outside Canada when we informed them twice we were here with our full plans, but alas after speaking to a few different people I was told to let them know we are in Canada so I did that. And then since then I haveheard various rules from different people that contradict each other and I’m so confused as to what I can and cannot do and whether I’ve fucked up my spouses file completely or not.
Post these specific questions to the Family Sponsorship section of the forum. You will get the best / most answers if you post in the right section of the forum.

Izadory

Aug 9, 2023
hi just want to ask what happened to your work permit extension? Did you applied and approved even less than 30 days before expiration?

sarathVar

Dec 14, 2023
hi just want to ask what happened to your work permit extension? Did you applied and approved even less than 30 days before expiration?
I am in the same situation. Did you apply for WP extension less than 30 days before expiration? Did you get the implied status letter?