+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please help about child tax benefit! Urgent

HollyJames

Nov 17, 2016
Hi everyone,

I have a question about child tax benefit. Please help me if you know it.
I'm applying permanent resident under sponsor spouse and Still waiting for it. My son was born in Canada on September 2014. He went back to my country and lived with my parents from December 2014 until March 2016. Now he's living with me and husband. I received CCTB on June 2015. My questions are do I need to tell them about my son lived outside before and can they stop payment for my son?

Thanks for your help!

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
HollyJames said:
Hi everyone,

I have a question about child tax benefit. Please help me if you know it.
I'm applying permanent resident under sponsor spouse and Still waiting for it. My son was born in Canada on September 2014. He went back to my country and lived with my parents from December 2014 until March 2016. Now he's living with me and husband. I received CCTB on June 2015. My questions are do I need to tell them about my son lived outside before and can they stop payment for my son?

Thanks for your help!
Yes, you need to inform them that your son was not residing in Canada during 2015. You will have to return the payments, but this will ensure you don't have any hassles down the line. In the event that you don't inform them, and they find out, you will be subject to fines and penalties on top of having to return the payments.

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
I confirm what the above poster said.

I'll just add that if you inform them properly, and notify them that he is with you since March 2016, they will not stop payments but just ask you to reimburse the amounts you received while you didn't qualify (2015 - March 2016).