+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Planning to move- Need Guidance

tanya_sharma

Nov 26, 2017
Hi Everyone,

I am moving to Canada next month and have some queries:

1) I have some CAD leftover cash from holidays but I don't have any bill to show the source as I have it for many years. Do I have to show any bills? Also, will I be asked for bills(currency exchange) at Indian Airport or Canada Airport or at the bank where I would deposit this money at the time of opening account? Also Is there any limit on such cash?

2) As I am doing the soft landing and still haven't decided about where to stay(Toronto or Vancouver-depends on job opportunities), is it wise to open an account and apply for health card and driving license considering there are possibilities:
A. that I will return after 2-3 months and then will go back to Canada after 4-6 months.
B. and also haven't decided on which province I want to stay.

3) Are the counters at airport required at the time of POE like service Canada, new immigrant open 24 hours?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Tanya

email.6633

Star Member
Dec 17, 2016
1. No issues. No sources are checked. If you carry more than 10k CAD, you have to declare. Or else it is fine.
2. Softlanding - You may not be able to get health card nor DL. because it requires address proof and you have to return your current license.
3. No. Only working hours, 5 days a week.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Hi Everyone,

I am moving to Canada next month and have some queries:

1) I have some CAD leftover cash from holidays but I don't have any bill to show the source as I have it for many years. Do I have to show any bills? Also, will I be asked for bills(currency exchange) at Indian Airport or Canada Airport or at the bank where I would deposit this money at the time of opening account? Also Is there any limit on such cash?

2) As I am doing the soft landing and still haven't decided about where to stay(Toronto or Vancouver-depends on job opportunities), is it wise to open an account and apply for health card and driving license considering there are possibilities:
A. that I will return after 2-3 months and then will go back to Canada after 4-6 months.
B. and also haven't decided on which province I want to stay.

3) Are the counters at airport required at the time of POE like service Canada, new immigrant open 24 hours?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Tanya

1.) I don't know about airports in India - but in Canada you have declare if the funds are more than $10,000 CAD. You will not be asked to show bill/physical proof of the source of funds. There is no limit for funds brought into canada..as long as you declare it.
2.) If you land in Ontario, you can obtain a "G1 license" after passing the written test, and if you obtain a letter from your embassy + have a valid driving license from your country, you'll be allowed one chance to go directly for the full G road test. It does require a lot of practice though to make it at the first attempt.
With your G1 you can apply for a health card (license is considered proof of living in the province), but it will only be effective 3 months after landing...so probably doesn't make much sense for your soft landing, however driving License arrives 2 weeks after passing the test.
3) No, but you can go to any service canada the next day or so, nothing to worry about.

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you are only doing a soft landing in Ontario or BC you shouldn't apply for a health card. You should only apply when you are settling. You don't have to stay for 2-3 months if you are doing a soft landing. You can have friends or family send you the PR card via courier like Fedex.

rakeshk007

Apr 7, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1.) I don't know about airports in India - but in Canada you have declare if the funds are more than $10,000 CAD. You will not be asked to show bill/physical proof of the source of funds. There is no limit for funds brought into canada..as long as you declare it.
2.) If you land in Ontario, you can obtain a "G1 license" after passing the written test, and if you obtain a letter from your embassy + have a valid driving license from your country, you'll be allowed one chance to go directly for the full G road test. It does require a lot of practice though to make it at the first attempt.
With your G1 you can apply for a health card (license is considered proof of living in the province), but it will only be effective 3 months after landing...so probably doesn't make much sense for your soft landing, however driving License arrives 2 weeks after passing the test.
3) No, but you can go to any service canada the next day or so, nothing to worry about.

Is G1 license necessary/mandatory for applying for a health card? Or is it more of an address proof ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Is G1 license necessary/mandatory for applying for a health card? Or is it more of an address proof ?
It is a form of picture ID but also necessary if you plan on driving. G1 is the graduated licensing first step after written test in Ontario. It is called something else in BC. You have to get the study material and write the test. Some people have been able to transfer their license if they drove in their home country.. If you don't know where you plan on settling I would wait to apply for a license but it is up to you.

rakeshk007

Apr 7, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is a form of picture ID but also necessary if you plan on driving. G1 is the graduated licensing first step after written test in Ontario. It is called something else in BC. You have to get the study material and write the test. Some people have been able to transfer their license if they drove in their home country.. If you don't know where you plan on settling I would wait to apply for a license but it is up to you.
Thanks for the info.