+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Planning for CEC

justin777

Oct 13, 2015
Hi Guys,

So I started my schooling last month and right now trying to decide and plan for my future.

My primary goal is to get a Permanent Residence, my route would be CEC but as much I don't want
to spend a lot of money in schooling. So I try to minimize my cost as much as possible.

I am taking Computer and Information System, I have my Bachelors Degree back in my home country for Computer Science.

So currently, I have 2 choices,
either I went to a 1 year certificate and will do internship (6 months max per CIC)
OR
I will get a 2 year diploma with COOP if I want

So right now I kinda know the pros and cons for both (Correct me if I'm wrong)
1 year certificate (w/ intership)
Pros-
*Less Cost
*Earlier to take a Job
*Faster to get PR? (But more riskier since less time)
Cons-
*Only 1.5 years of PGWP
*Certificate compared to a diploma
*Hard to get intership (As told by my Computer Chair but considering my credentials)

2 year Diploma (w/ or w/o coop)
Pros-
*3 years PGWP (per CIC)
*Diploma rather than Certificate
*More room time to get CEC
*More points in Experience Class Calculation (2 years or more)
Cons-
*More overhead cost
*1 more year compared to previous option

So right now I am leaning towards 2 year Diploma but honestly I might take a leap of faith on 1 year certificate.

Questions:
Will the 1.5 year PGWP be enough to process my CEC? (I saw some threads that it takes almost "8 months" or more to process it)
What will happen if I finished my PGWP but I am already processing my CEC? (Will I be able to stay in Canada but can't work unless I extend PGWP?)
Is it better to work where I finished my degree or its just the same elsewhere? (I read something about the tax refund I can get from my education)
Is it better to have an immigration consultant? (Will I get better results if I have one like are they biased rather than doing your application all by yourself)

Thank You so much guys, A lot of people have the same questions that I have. In my class there are 5 International Students who are asking the same questions and wondering if there is something better. You guys help us a lot.

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
I don't recommend inmigration consultants if you can get and understand the Inmigration information.

Note that qualifying for CEC doesn't mind you will get PR through EE. You need also a high score.

The government said they are going to help PG to get PR increasing score but nothing yet, perhaps in 2 years...

There are also PNP that can help. Better investigate which provinces are better to qualify for PNP as PG (that could change in 2 years)

justin777

Oct 13, 2015
Gregor.Samsa said:
I don't recommend inmigration consultants if you can get and understand the Inmigration information.

Note that qualifying for CEC doesn't mind you will get PR through EE. You need also a high score.

The government said they are going to help PG to get PR increasing score but nothing yet, perhaps in 2 years...

There are also PNP that can help. Better investigate which provinces are better to qualify for PNP as PG (that could change in 2 years)
Hey man thanks for the insight, yeah as much I don't like getting an immigration consultant. I am trying to cut cost as much as possible and they cost a lot.

So from my understanding it's best to get 2 years? I think somewhere in CIC that says I will get 3 years if I finish 2 years. If its a case to case basis I can always get a coop after my program that can span upto 8 months. So almost 3 years after I graduate.

You know I tried again answering the calculation table, in here:http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/will-1-year-certificate-will-work-to-get-cec-t455878.0.html he said that I need at least 450 to be average and 480 to be above average.

But I notice when I answered it again then I put 2 years Diploma + 1 year working. My score is just 396. I tried making it 2 years but it only increase to 408.

Any tips on how I can increase my score while I'm in the studying stage?

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
justin777 said:
Hey man thanks for the insight, yeah as much I don't like getting an immigration consultant. I am trying to cut cost as much as possible and they cost a lot.

So from my understanding it's best to get 2 years? I think somewhere in CIC that says I will get 3 years if I finish 2 years. If its a case to case basis I can always get a coop after my program that can span upto 8 months. So almost 3 years after I graduate.

You know I tried again answering the calculation table, in here:http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/will-1-year-certificate-will-work-to-get-cec-t455878.0.html he said that I need at least 450 to be average and 480 to be above average.

But I notice when I answered it again then I put 2 years Diploma + 1 year working. My score is just 396. I tried making it 2 years but it only increase to 408.

Any tips on how I can increase my score while I'm in the studying stage?
Definitely go for a 2 years diploma

A Master's will increase the score but if expensive
Higher IELTS score will help.

For your foreign education you'll need ECA to get the score

Work experience is a must

Check Manitoba or other Provincial Nomination Programs

LMIA

Hope for the government increasing International Students score as promised (but who knows)