+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Physical Presence

Tinashe01

Feb 24, 2018
Hi guys,

I am looking for some advice on the topic mentioned above. My current situation is as follows:

I received my PR in December last year. I am currently working and studying in Ireland. I would like to open my own start up business. I currently do some work for small companies based in Europe and was wondering that if I opened a company in Canada and put the income through this Canadian company, could this count towards my physical presence in Canada, as I would be working for a Canadian business, albeit one that I own?

I would appreciate any assistance with this.

Warm Regards

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
No, this doesn't work.

You need to be in Canada, or have a job that transferred you out of Canada. Unfortunately starting a company that is tax-domiciled in Canada will not count.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi guys,

I am looking for some advice on the topic mentioned above. My current situation is as follows:

I received my PR in December last year. I am currently working and studying in Ireland. I would like to open my own start up business. I currently do some work for small companies based in Europe and was wondering that if I opened a company in Canada and put the income through this Canadian company, could this count towards my physical presence in Canada, as I would be working for a Canadian business, albeit one that I own?

I would appreciate any assistance with this.

Warm Regards
For sure, any days you personally are OUTSIDE Canada are, obviously, NOT days physically present in Canada. There is currently NO scenario in which a person employed by a private business will get credit for time abroad toward the citizenship presence requirement.

With very, very narrow exceptions, to qualify for citizenship a PR must be ACTUALLY PHYSICALLY PRESENT in Canada at least 1095 days in a five year period of time.

Moreover, it is almost certain this scenario will NOT allow you any credit toward the PR Residency Obligation for time abroad working for such a company. This topic is discussed in depth in the "Permanent Residency Obligations" group of topics.

See, for example, extensive discussion about the working-abroad-for-Canadian-business-credit toward PR RO in the topic linked in the following quote.

CAUTION: Actually qualifying for the working-abroad-for-Canadian-business-credit toward PR RO tends to be very tricky for any PR who actually needs the credit. It warrants noting, for example, even though I am very confident there is NO rule or policy which precludes the credit for "business trips," that does NOT mean business trips will qualify for the credit. The requirements are complex AND OFTEN STRICTLY APPLIED, depending on the FACTS in the particular case, which are typically also complex.

Reactions: Tinashe01

Tinashe01

Feb 24, 2018
For sure, any days you personally are OUTSIDE Canada are, obviously, NOT days physically present in Canada. There is currently NO scenario in which a person employed by a private business will get credit for time abroad toward the citizenship presence requirement.

With very, very narrow exceptions, to qualify for citizenship a PR must be ACTUALLY PHYSICALLY PRESENT in Canada at least 1095 days in a five year period of time.

Moreover, it is almost certain this scenario will NOT allow you any credit toward the PR Residency Obligation for time abroad working for such a company. This topic is discussed in depth in the "Permanent Residency Obligations" group of topics.

See, for example, extensive discussion about the working-abroad-for-Canadian-business-credit toward PR RO in the topic linked in the following quote.
Thanks for this..