+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Physical presence calculator - Eligibility for Citizenship

DonDraper

Star Member
Apr 25, 2018
Hello,

As per Physical Presence Calculator, my spouse is eligible for citizenship in 92 days.

We both landed on 2018-10-14 and she had to leave the country within 10 days and Returned back to Canada in 2019-05-15, a gap of 203 days. However, she hasn't left the country since then till now (Jan 2022) i.e 1003 days in total.

My question is do we consider the days from 2019-05-15 as her physical presence days or those landing 10 days are also considered as physically present and count towards citizenship.

Also, can we apply separately for citizenship as I will be eligible in 10 days? What are the benefits to apply together?

Please advice.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
There should be no doubt those 10 days can be counted as it happened in the last 5 years. The calculator will also consider this.

Yes you can apply separately. The only drawback is that you may not get to take your oath together.

Reactions: DonDraper

DonDraper

Star Member
Apr 25, 2018
There should be no doubt those 10 days can be counted as it happened in the last 5 years. The calculator will also consider this.

Yes you can apply separately. The only drawback is that you may not get to take your oath together.
Thanks for your response. During those 10 days we were in Airbnb, how do we provide the address proof of those days?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hello,

As per Physical Presence Calculator, my spouse is eligible for citizenship in 92 days.

We both landed on 2018-10-14 and she had to leave the country within 10 days and Returned back to Canada in 2019-05-15, a gap of 203 days. However, she hasn't left the country since then till now (Jan 2022) i.e 1003 days in total.

My question is do we consider the days from 2019-05-15 as her physical presence days or those landing 10 days are also considered as physically present and count towards citizenship.

Also, can we apply separately for citizenship as I will be eligible in 10 days? What are the benefits to apply together?

Please advice.
A PR is eligible for a grant of citizenship if they have been actually, physically present IN Canada for at least 1095 days during the PR's eligibility period, which is the five years immediately preceding the date of landing (half day credit for days in Canada within the five years but before landing). Any day in Canada during the eligibility period counts (thus, for example, for a PR temporarily living in the U.S. states, day trips to Canada will count, even if in Canada only for a few hours of the day).

It is prudent, however, to wait to apply with a margin over the minimum. To my view, thirty days is the minimum prudent margin (but a bigger margin for some applicants depending on their particular facts); but many here suggest ten days is enough, and some think even a week is enough.

A month, or even two, goes by fairly quickly for someone settled in Canada, and waiting can often mean actually taking the oath sooner.

During those 10 days we were in Airbnb, how do we provide the address proof of those days?
A thirty day margin would make proof of address for ten days practically insignificant. That is part of why a margin is a good idea.

The other reason why a margin is a good idea is that it can help avoid even being asked for proof of residence at a particular address. The more comfortable the decision-maker is that the applicant meets the requirements, the less likely the application will be subject to elevated scrutiny or questions, the less likely there will be non-routine processing. A margin can (and should) make the decision-maker more comfortable about concluding the applicant met the presence requirement.

There is no need to submit proof of residence at a particular address unless IRCC requests it. That would be RQ-related non-routine processing (RQ means Residence Questionnaire). Only a few citizenship applicants get RQ-related requests these days. But waiting to apply with a solid margin over the minimum presence requirement is one of the ways the prospective applicant can reduce the risk of RQ-related non-routine processing. It can be well worth it, as RQ-related non-routine processing, even the lesser versions of what is called RQ-lite, typically delays getting citizenship for months (and full blown RQ can delay the process for a year or more).

But in any event, receipts for the rental would ordinarily suffice.

Reactions: DonDraper

DonDraper

Star Member
Apr 25, 2018
A PR is eligible for a grant of citizenship if they have been actually, physically present IN Canada for at least 1095 days during the PR's eligibility period, which is the five years immediately preceding the date of landing (half day credit for days in Canada within the five years but before landing). Any day in Canada during the eligibility period counts (thus, for example, for a PR temporarily living in the U.S. states, day trips to Canada will count, even if in Canada only for a few hours of the day).

It is prudent, however, to wait to apply with a margin over the minimum. To my view, thirty days is the minimum prudent margin (but a bigger margin for some applicants depending on their particular facts); but many here suggest ten days is enough, and some think even a week is enough.

A month, or even two, goes by fairly quickly for someone settled in Canada, and waiting can often mean actually taking the oath sooner.

A thirty day margin would make proof of address for ten days practically insignificant. That is part of why a margin is a good idea.

The other reason why a margin is a good idea is that it can help avoid even being asked for proof of residence at a particular address. The more comfortable the decision-maker is that the applicant meets the requirements, the less likely the application will be subject to elevated scrutiny or questions, the less likely there will be non-routine processing. A margin can (and should) make the decision-maker more comfortable about concluding the applicant met the presence requirement.

There is no need to submit proof of residence at a particular address unless IRCC requests it. That would be RQ-related non-routine processing (RQ means Residence Questionnaire). Only a few citizenship applicants get RQ-related requests these days. But waiting to apply with a solid margin over the minimum presence requirement is one of the ways the prospective applicant can reduce the risk of RQ-related non-routine processing. It can be well worth it, as RQ-related non-routine processing, even the lesser versions of what is called RQ-lite, typically delays getting citizenship for months (and full blown RQ can delay the process for a year or more).

But in any event, receipts for the rental would ordinarily suffice.
Thank you for the response. Appreciate it!
Due to differences in our physical presence, my spouse may have to just have a margin of 7-10 days, or else I would be waiting longer to apply for citizenship. We are contemplating applying separately. Additionally, the processing timelines provided by IRCC are > 12 months and in some cases 2 years.