+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Physical presence calculation time zone

Nov 7, 2017
I've just recently reached the required physical presence in Canada to apply for citizenship. I had several short (1-3 days) absences during the eligibility period, so I requested CBSA's record of my entries and exits to be sure of the calculation. On 4 occasions, I had returned to Canada via Vancouver or Edmonton (I live in Toronto) before midnight local time, but past midnight when converted to eastern time. CBSA's record of all my entries and exits were in eastern time. In my personal travel journal, I had recorded the day arrived in Canada based on local time. I've given myself an additional 4 days of buffer just in case IRCC interprets it unfavourably, but my question is what dates should I put down in my citizenship application? Should all arrival dates be based on local time or eastern time? Sorry if this has already been answered, I couldn't find this exact question answered.

greenelle

Aug 22, 2022
you should probably use your local time and give yourself an extra week or 2 to remove any doubt? that's probably a bit easier than trying to do these timezone calculations

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah, I'm giving myself the extra buffer time, no issue there. But objectively what should be on the citizenship application? As in, what's 'more' correct? Date based on the local time at port of entry or local time where I'm applying? I get that it's a little bit of a nitpicky question, and perhaps either works sufficiently well, but just curious if there's some clear guidance about this.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
The physical presence calculation you're supposed to provide is your own reporting of your days exiting and entering the country, not a copy paste of the CBSA report. And in your own reality, regardless of what the CBSA system registered (and such system also registered the point of entry, so access to the actual date you made it to Canada is obvious to the IRCC agent having a look), you entered Canada on the local time of the place where you crossed the border, not on the date in Toronto or Japan.
So, put that and don't worry about it.
And as said before, make it a moot point by applying with a buffer.