+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PhD Student in Quebec: Visa Help for Pregnant Partner and Newborn

vicjulrin

Sep 8, 2024
Hi everyone, I'm an international PhD student in Quebec. When I applied for my study permit, I did it alone because my girlfriend wasn’t planning to travel with me, and I intended to visit her regularly in my home country. However, just before starting my PhD, we found out she’s pregnant, and we’re expecting a baby in March 2025 in my home country. Could anyone advise us on how we should apply for visas for both my girlfriend and the newborn? Thanks in advance for your help!

nzkko

Star Member
May 13, 2024
Are you married or common-law? This is a pre-requisite for getting a spousal open work permit for your partner. You can also get a TRV for your baby

vicjulrin

Sep 8, 2024
Are you married or common-law? This is a pre-requisite for getting a spousal open work permit for your partner. You can also get a TRV for your baby
We are not legally married, but we have been living together in a common-law relationship since 2022. I have a study permit valid until 2028, but I did not include my girlfriend in the application at that time.

nzkko

Star Member
May 13, 2024
That's fine. Then you can apply for spousal open work permit for your girlfriend (with all the proofs of your cohabitation) and a TRV for your baby.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We are not legally married, but we have been living together in a common-law relationship since 2022. I have a study permit valid until 2028, but I did not include my girlfriend in the application at that time.
If you were common law before coming to Canada and did not include you girlfriend on your application which you were required to do that could be very problematic. Would add that processing before having your baby is going to be very tight and she may not qualify for any private healthcare coverage because she is already pregnant.

this is not a family sponsorship issue please post under international student.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That's fine. Then you can apply for spousal open work permit for your girlfriend (with all the proofs of your cohabitation) and a TRV for your baby.
big issue may be failure to declare their common law status before coming to Canada. Tough to say what will happen.