+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

phd stream under express entry

munnakha05

Star Member
Aug 18, 2014
enghope said:
Hi,
Did your returned application reached there on December.
It is like my case so I wonder what happened with you
Thx
CIC send back on December 30. Too late for me to send again. So that application is closed.

munnakha05

Star Member
Aug 18, 2014
dawangyu said:
I have the same question. waiting for somebady's answer.

If you are working as ta ra then check the code from noc 2011. Probably 4012 as I remember. This is your current job. But as a phd student it is not counted as job and you will not get any point. But you will get point for your previous job back in your home country.

enghope

Dec 19, 2014
munnakha05 said:
CIC send back on December 30. Too late for me to send again. So that application is closed.
I just want to know your opinion as the application was sent on December 12 to me and I sent back reached there 23 December but there is news cap was reached on December do you think they will consider my initial submission on September

dawangyu

Mar 21, 2015
munnakha05 said:
yes you are eligible. TA/RA has no impact on score but NOC code of Ta-Ra is crucial for selected under fsw category.
what do you mean the noc code is crucial? is there any chance for 4012? or is there any other code suitable for ta/ra?

samanr

Mar 11, 2015
morena34 said:
Ok guys, so I created another profile. Everything was the same as before until Work Experience section. I realized this time steps were a bit different, and obviously I only included my RA/TA experience. This time the question about work permit things showed up. At the end I submitted it and everything were transmitted. Eventually I ended up meeting FSW criteria. I'm guessing I might have entered something wrong in my previous profile. At the same time the lawyer in our university was saying that relying only on RA/TA would be still tricky.

Did you use RA and TA at Canada (only) as your experience?

munnakha05

Star Member
Aug 18, 2014
dawangyu said:
what do you mean the noc code is crucial? is there any chance for 4012? or is there any other code suitable for ta/ra?

Open EE profile and NOC 4012 is your primary job code. See what happens next.

Crucial -means it is your primary job code. Other previous jobs can only be considered under work exp section. Go ahead. Unless you open EE profile you may not understand.

pxjiushun100

Mar 9, 2014
morena34 said:
Ok guys, so I created another profile. Everything was the same as before until Work Experience section. I realized this time steps were a bit different, and obviously I only included my RA/TA experience. This time the question about work permit things showed up. At the end I submitted it and everything were transmitted. Eventually I ended up meeting FSW criteria. I'm guessing I might have entered something wrong in my previous profile. At the same time the lawyer in our university was saying that relying only on RA/TA would be still tricky.
We are on the same boat. I also graduated on Nov. 2014 and am working as a postdoc now. I had submitted EE profile and used RA and TA as my primary occupation and working experience. I met the criteria of Federal Skilled Worker, and have 402 points.

I am applying PNP Express Entry. However, I am confused with the whether RA and TA work experience is counted or not for Federal Skilled Worker requirement which is one year working experience.
I heard many versions. One thing I found on CIC website is the following: h*******.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=855&t=6

Please let me know if you know anything about RA and TA work experience.

grenouille

Sep 26, 2014
Hello,

Has anyone so far, as an ongoing phd or post-doc, applied under express entry and been invited by cic?
If you or someone you know succeeded in that, please share with us.
It would be great to know that it is at least doable.

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
pxjiushun100 said:
We are on the same boat. I also graduated on Nov. 2014 and am working as a postdoc now. I had submitted EE profile and used RA and TA as my primary occupation and working experience. I met the criteria of Federal Skilled Worker, and have 402 points.

I am applying PNP Express Entry. However, I am confused with the whether RA and TA work experience is counted or not for Federal Skilled Worker requirement which is one year working experience.
I heard many versions. One thing I found on CIC website is the following: h*******.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=855&t=6

Please let me know if you know anything about RA and TA work experience.
This issue has been discussed for the past four years within the PhD stream thread.

Based on the page you posted, TA/RA will be accepted for FSW if it is continuous, but it won't be accepted under CEC.

When you claim points for EE, TA/RA won't give you any points at all for Canadian work experience.

So you can still qualify under FSWP (provided that you have at least 67 points), but your TA/RA won't add additional points under CRS for EE.

pxjiushun100

Mar 9, 2014
meyakanor said:
This issue has been discussed for the past four years within the PhD stream thread.

Based on the page you posted, TA/RA will be accepted for FSW if it is continuous, but it won't be accepted under CEC.

When you claim points for EE, TA/RA won't give you any points at all for Canadian work experience.

So you can still qualify under FSWP (provided that you have at least 67 points), but your TA/RA won't add additional points under CRS for EE.
Thank you for the information.
Do you mean TA/RA can qualify me for FSWP, i.e. the one year work experience requirement in FSWP, even though will not count for EE points?

But I heard from someone, including one immigration lawyer, that work experience while you were a full-time student does not count. TA/RA experience was happened in my Ph.D. study, on a study permit. This really confused me. I do not care about the EE points, but really care whether TA/RA could qualify me for skilled worker.

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
pxjiushun100 said:
Do you mean TA/RA can qualify me for FSWP, i.e. the one year work experience requirement in FSWP, even though will not count for EE points?

But I heard from someone, including one immigration lawyer, that work experience while you were a full-time student does not count. TA/RA experience was happened in my Ph.D. study, on a study permit. This really confused me. I do not care about the EE points, but really care whether TA/RA could qualify me for skilled worker.
Hi pxjiushun100,

I've heard conflicting stories on whether the TA/RA experience is accepted under FSWP, but what I can say for sure though, it is explicitly mentioned that work experience gained during full-time study won't be accepted as work experience for CEC, and won't be accepted as a Canadian work experience under the EE point system (CRS). There was no mention of such thing for FSWP, which seems to imply that TA/RA should be accepted to satisfy the one year continuous work experience requirements (again, it needs to be continuous, doesn't matter if it's for FSWP or CRS).

Again, if anybody can point out to any official source which says it won't be accepted, then I would concede the point. CEC is explicit that they won't accept any work experience gained while doing full-time study. The CRS is also explicit in that, Canadian work experience points won't be granted if the work experience has been gained while doing full-time study. But unless such explicit wording exists for FSWP, then I think my point still stands.

s-r-z

Star Member
Jul 19, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar 2015
Nomination.....
18-12-2015
pxjiushun100 said:

I graduated with PhD on Oct 2014, and made a profile for EE under FSWP, and I have 4012 experience during PhD. The thing is that your work experience during the time you you were a student in Canada won't count and has no point for you:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=855&t=6

I got 0 point for 4 years of 4012 because it was at the same time that I was student.

My understanding is that if you continue as a RA or postdoc after your graduation, then you can claim that point.

pxjiushun100

Mar 9, 2014
meyakanor said:
Hi pxjiushun100,

I've heard conflicting stories on whether the TA/RA experience is accepted under FSWP, but what I can say for sure though, it is explicitly mentioned that work experience gained during full-time study won't be accepted as work experience for CEC, and won't be accepted as a Canadian work experience under the EE point system (CRS). There was no mention of such thing for FSWP, which seems to imply that TA/RA should be accepted to satisfy the one year continuous work experience requirements (again, it needs to be continuous, doesn't matter if it's for FSWP or CRS).

Again, if anybody can point out to any official source which says it won't be accepted, then I would concede the point. CEC is explicit that they won't accept any work experience gained while doing full-time study. The CRS is also explicit in that, Canadian work experience points won't be granted if the work experience has been gained while doing full-time study. But unless such explicit wording exists for FSWP, then I think my point still stands.
Hi meyakanor,
Thank you very much for your reply and sharing your knowledge.

pxjiushun100

Mar 9, 2014
s-r-z said:
I graduated with PhD on Oct 2014, and made a profile for EE under FSWP, and I have 4012 experience during PhD. The thing is that your work experience during the time you you were a student in Canada won't count and has no point for you:

I got 0 point for 4 years of 4012 because it was at the same time that I was student.

My understanding is that if you continue as a RA or postdoc after your graduation, then you can claim that point.
HI S-R-Z,
Thanks for your reply. I understand that these experience will not count for points. What I was wondering is that whether RA/TA work experience would qualify me for applying skilled worker, in which program a year work experience is required.