+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP/Work Permit Extension while waiting for Marriage License

phoenix_0601

Apr 20, 2024
Asking here because it seems like a pretty unique situation and I can't find information anywhere else.

My fiance and I are getting married on May 8th. The county clerk told us that we can apply for a marriage license 6-8 weeks after the ceremony and it can take anywhere between 3-5 months to be delivered. The issue is that I am on PGWP right now that expires on June 19th. Is it possible for me to file for an extension to make sure I get the marriage license here? My fiance is from the US and she is going back later in May.

Any advice and suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Asking here because it seems like a pretty unique situation and I can't find information anywhere else.

My fiance and I are getting married on May 8th. The county clerk told us that we can apply for a marriage license 6-8 weeks after the ceremony and it can take anywhere between 3-5 months to be delivered. The issue is that I am on PGWP right now that expires on June 19th. Is it possible for me to file for an extension to make sure I get the marriage license here? My fiance is from the US and she is going back later in May.

Any advice and suggestions would be highly appreciated.
What does marriage license have to do with PGWP?

Reactions: YVR123

phoenix_0601

Apr 20, 2024
What does marriage license have to do with PGWP?
Nothing, I just want to know if there's a way for me to stay here long enough to receive it. I have no issues moving out of Canada after that, but if there's an option for me to get an extension for another six months or so on my current permit I would like to apply for it.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Nothing, I just want to know if there's a way for me to stay here long enough to receive it. I have no issues moving out of Canada after that, but if there's an option for me to get an extension for another six months or so on my current permit I would like to apply for it.
Just change status to visitor if leaving. Extend status as visitor.

phoenix_0601

Apr 20, 2024
That would require me to quit my current job as I'm not allowed to work on visitor status, right? Is there an option where I can continue to work for my present employer and apply for a temporary six-month extension or does that go back to the LMIA route?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
That would require me to quit my current job as I'm not allowed to work on visitor status, right? Is there an option where I can continue to work for my present employer and apply for a temporary six-month extension or does that go back to the LMIA route?
You can apply for extension and if you get letter saying you are on implied status then you can continue to work. There is no temporary 6 month extension. You may get approved to continue working on implied status until decision is made. It could take a few weeks.

phoenix_0601

Apr 20, 2024
You can apply for extension and if you get letter saying you are on implied status then you can continue to work. There is no temporary 6 month extension. You may get approved to continue working on implied status until decision is made. It could take a few weeks.
Thank you, that helps a lot! I'll look into it right away.