+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP while having NEW study permit

duongch4

Aug 1, 2016
Hi everyone,

My current study permit will expire on Aug 30 2017, and I will graduate in September 2017 (final mark posted). I was planning to do another degree for 3 years, so I applied for a new study permit (got accepted to UBC). However, now I get a job offer and want to apply for the PGWP. So:
  1. If I receive the new study permit, and want to apply for PGWP in September 2017, will I still be eligible? Given that the time frame of 90 days after graduation is satisfied. And I have a valid study permit (the new one) in September.
  2. Given (1) is passed, If I apply and receive the PGWP, can I cancel the new study permit, because experience will not be counted while on full-time study (ie. the new study permit), or the new study permit will be immediately invalid after receiving PGWP?
  3. Should I cancel the NEW study permit application now, and just apply again for a short study permit extension, for the purpose of PWGP?

Thank you very much

gaba

Star Member
Feb 1, 2017
Hi everyone,

My current study permit will expire on Aug 30 2017, and I will graduate in September 2017 (final mark posted). I was planning to do another degree for 3 years, so I applied for a new study permit (got accepted to UBC). However, now I get a job offer and want to apply for the PGWP. So:
  1. If I receive the new study permit, and want to apply for PGWP in September 2017, will I still be eligible? Given that the time frame of 90 days after graduation is satisfied. And I have a valid study permit (the new one) in September.
  2. Given (1) is passed, If I apply and receive the PGWP, can I cancel the new study permit, because experience will not be counted while on full-time study (ie. the new study permit), or the new study permit will be immediately invalid after receiving PGWP?
  3. Should I cancel the NEW study permit application now, and just apply again for a short study permit extension, for the purpose of PWGP?

Thank you very much
I think you should go for study permit extension, and then get pgwp.