+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP vs Convocation

cecandconfused

Star Member
Dec 17, 2014
Hey everyone, and thanks in advance for your answers,

I completed all my requirements to graduate from UofC by July 2013. My OCWP was valid till Nov 2014. I applied for PGWP in Oct 2013 (with letter from Uni saying I had satisfied all requirements) and got my PGWP in Nov 2013. I made a dumb mistake and got caught up with work and life and didn't apply for convocation till August 2014 and received my degree in Nov 2014. Been working under qualified NOC 0122 since July 2013. I'm about to apply for PR under old CEC before EE comes around. Am I going to be OK? Does CIC care about work experience after PGWP or Convocation?

Quick Facts:
Finished Degree Requirements July 2013
Received PGWP Nov 27 2013 (Exp. May 2016)
Worked FT in Qualified NOC 0122 From July 2013
Convocation in Nov 2014
Planning to apply for PR NOW

I've heard there are mixed opinions about this. Please help.
On a side note, this whole PR application is making me genuinely depressed. I've been in Canada for 7 years now. I've built a life here and everything is being threatened. I don't know how you guys handle this kind of pressure, but it's really tough. Anyways, thanks for your help.
Cheers, CEC&Confused.

all_iz_well

Dec 17, 2014
Re: PGSW vs Convocation

Your work experience will count from the day you get your PGWP.
I dont think it has anything to do with convocation.
U would not get the PGWP if you did not graduate.

so apply under CEC ASAP(by 31st Dec) as Express Entry will be little challenging.

Good Luck.

cecandconfused

Star Member
Dec 17, 2014
Re: PGSW vs Convocation

all_iz_well said:
Your work experience will count from the day you get your PGWP.
I dont think it has anything to do with convocation.
U would not get the PGWP if you did not graduate.

so apply under CEC ASAP(by 31st Dec) as Express Entry will be little challenging.

Good Luck.
You're a rockstar. There's just so much uncertainty and double-guessing oneself when it comes to immigration. Thanks man.

zareef

Dec 27, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014
Doc's Request.
23-02-2016
AOR Received.
26-01-2015
IELTS Request
CELPIP sent with app
Med's Request
09-03-2016
Med's Done....
02-03-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2016
LANDED..........
10-05-2016
cecandconfused said:
On a side note, this whole PR application is making me genuinely depressed. I've been in Canada for 7 years now. I've built a life here and everything is being threatened. I don't know how you guys handle this kind of pressure, but it's really tough. Anyways, thanks for your help.
Cheers, CEC&Confused.
No worries man. I also applied for convocation late (on purpose) - however started working on PGWP months earlier. You're good as long as you've completed degree requirements and received the PGWP. =)

mesumrizvi

Nov 7, 2014
Toronto - Canada
The experience does not count from PGWP only.. it will also count if you worked on OCWP for the time you have worked after getting your confirmation of graduation letter from educational institution. I finished studies in April and got my letter of graduation on 15th May.. convocation was in July but i started working before that on OCWP.. received PGWP in August.. so the experience gained after the graduation confirmation will count does not matter if it is even on OCWP.

retwant

Dec 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mesumrizvi said:
The experience does not count from PGWP only.. it will also count if you worked on OCWP for the time you have worked after getting your confirmation of graduation letter from educational institution. I finished studies in April and got my letter of graduation on 15th May.. convocation was in July but i started working before that on OCWP.. received PGWP in August.. so the experience gained after the graduation confirmation will count does not matter if it is even on OCWP.
There were many confusions before whether qualifying experience is only counted from PGWP and not OCWP. Few people had experienced that the VOs didnt calculate the work experience under OCWP. One of the discussion can be found over here: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t187408.0.html;msg2937314#msg2937314

So it is better safe than sorry. Try to have enough window of qualifying experience under PGWP if possible. Original poster, did you take any unpaid vacation?

MONKUCHA

Oct 6, 2014
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
ALBERTA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8/17/15
Nomination.....
06/19/15
AOR Received.
11/16/15
Med's Request
05/02/16 UPFRONT
Med's Done....
05/02/16
Convocation is only a ceremony not a official graduation. It is not mandatory. It was your choice. You could get your diploma by mail instead going to convocation (that's what I did). Your graduation date is a date from the letter from your University and your experience counts from that date if you had a work permitthat time of from the date your PGWP starts.

zareef

Dec 27, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014
Doc's Request.
23-02-2016
AOR Received.
26-01-2015
IELTS Request
CELPIP sent with app
Med's Request
09-03-2016
Med's Done....
02-03-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2016
LANDED..........
10-05-2016
MONKUCHA said:
Convocation is only a ceremony not a official graduation. It is not mandatory. It was your choice. You could get your diploma by mail instead going to convocation (that's what I did). Your graduation date is a date from the letter from your University and your experience counts from that date if you had a work permitthat time of from the date your PGWP starts.
I believe everyone knows the difference.
Most people graduate during convocation, except for the few who choose to and are allowed to graduate before the ceremony (e.g. at UofC, someone who finishes degree requirements by the Winter semester can apply to graduate in the following February, months before the convocation ceremony).

Graduation date used to matter under the pre-2013 system, for the post-graduate stream of CEC.

Since Jan 2013, there's only 1 stream under CEC and all experience counts once you finish degree requirements and cease to be a full-time student. However, as retwant said, it's safer to gain all of your qualifying experience on PGWP than gaining some of it on OCWP.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
cecandconfused said:

I completed all my requirements to graduate from UofC by July 2013. My OCWP was valid till Nov 2014. I applied for PGWP in Oct 2013 (with letter from Uni saying I had satisfied all requirements) and got my PGWP in Nov 2013. I made a dumb mistake and got caught up with work and life and didn't apply for convocation till August 2014 and received my degree in Nov 2014. Been working under qualified NOC 0122 since July 2013. I'm about to apply for PR under old CEC before EE comes around. Am I going to be OK? Does CIC care about work experience after PGWP or Convocation?

Quick Facts:
Convocation in Nov 2014

That is partly because CIC isn't clear in its rules, and partly because the rules keep changing.

The most recent change in instructions (January 2014) indicated that work performed while a full-time student was excluded.

If the VO is looking at your documents (PGWP, graduation date), your case will not be straightforward - it could be confusing and inconsistent.

One thing you can do is get a letter from your university indicating your dates of registration. If you were not registered after July 2013, great. But a lot of universities have a rule that you must be registered to graduate. If that is the case, then hopefully you only had to register part-time (and your letter should indicate that too).

xecuter

Star Member
Oct 13, 2012
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cecandconfused said:

Quick Facts:
Convocation in Nov 2014

Cheers, CEC&Confused.
What are the basis they issued your PGWP on? You have most probably provided some sort of proof (i.e. transcript showing degree conferred?).

Your work experience counts from the day you started working in NOC 0122 while on a PGWP. Don't confuse yourself and focus on getting all the other documents completed.

Good luck!

mesumrizvi

Nov 7, 2014
Toronto - Canada
Exactly.. if one doesnt have a convocation for 3-4 months thus no degree.. but we still get the letter of graduation confirmation which suffice for PGWP.. and it also means u have officially graduated and r no longer a student.. thus your work experience will count after the graduation date..

Use the letter of graduation confirmation as your proof of graduation if do not have degree alrdy