+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP to Information Technology worker program. Please help..

codename84

Nov 20, 2008
Hello guys,

I am explaning my questions in detail, because I could not find any similar situations like mine anywhere online.

I graduated from a one year PG program. (Visual effects last May 2008) and got a post graduation work permit. Before even getting the PG work permit, I got a job and then I used this PG work permit which is for a year, it expires at June 2009. My contract in this company was upto March 2009. This is this week. But last week my company renwewed my contract and said they need my service until 2011 May.

Eventhough my PGWP expires by June 2009, I thought of applying for a proper regular work permit this week.

My profession comes under Information Technology program (national confirmation program which doesn't need any HRSDC confirmation)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLIsh/work/itw-jobs.asp#jobs4

So I got a letter from my company showing the rules, and explaining about my skills, and offer of the extension of my contract.

After that I applied today and sent out things to this address

Citizenship and Immigration -
Work Permit
CPC-Vegreville
6212 - 55th Avenue, Unit 202
Vegreville AB
T9C 1X6

Which is for

Extensions including:
• work permit extension
• student work permit extension
• open work permit extension
Note: an "extension" is when you are
submitting an application for the
same employer with whom you
currently hold a valid work
permit

I have a few quesitons regarding this. There is also another address

Citizenship and Immigration -
Work Permit
CPC-Vegreville
6212 - 55th Avenue, Unit 203
Vegreville AB
T9C 1X6

for

Work permits for new employers including:
• work permit
• student work permit
• initial open work permit
Note: a "new employer" is any
employer with whom you do not
currently have a valid work
permit

I am not sure if I sent it to the right address. The call centre is unreachable all the time. I sent it to the 1st address, because I thought I have a work permit, and I am extending it with an offer. But now I am confused. I did not choose the second address, because I am not a new employee.

My confusion is, with this new work permit, I am no longer going to be under post graduation work permit. So did I send it to the right address? If it is not the right address, what will happen?

Another question is, if they approve my application and send a new one, will it be dated after June 2009 to May 2011? or they will ignore that and date it from the day I am applying for it?

Basically how long will they extend for an IT workers program.

Please help me out.

Thanks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Call CIC and ask them what they want you to do. You might have implied status since you applied and are waiting. If so, you don't have to do anything but keep on waiting.

codename84

Nov 20, 2008
Oh my gosh, it turns out that I sent it to the wrong unit. I should have sent it out to Unit 3, which only takes about 20 days time. But this is going to take forever and lead to a lot of confusion in terms of redirecting etc. I tried calling Canada Post and see if they can stop it or re direct it as a the sender. But they said they cannot do that.

Is there options that I can request them to dicard this whole applications and docs, so i can resend another set to Unit 3? before they start processing the application? Any ideas?

PS: Thanks a lot Leon.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Call CIC and ask them if there is a fax number at that address where you sent the wrong forms to that you can fax them and ask them to disregard, if not, send another letter there express mail stating that. Might work. Then send the right form to the right place I guess. Good luck :)

Raman_Ram

Star Member
May 25, 2009
Hello Leon,
I sent my Post Graduate work permit extension application to Vegreville Unit 202. My three year work permit was truncated because of premature expiry of my old passport. Now with a new passport I applied for the remainder period of extension.
It reached on 28 sep. till date i have nt received any correspondence.
i am not applying for a new work permit, not one for a new employer; just an extension.
what should I do?
Thanks in advance.