+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP to BOWP while awaiting PNC non-EE PR application

dwcho

Apr 27, 2020
Hello everyone,

I've researched this question quite a bit online, and I THINK I have the answer - which I don't really like...
But I just wanted double-check with everyone here.

My situation:
I have an OINP nomination (restricted to my employer).
I recently submitted my PNC PR application through the non-EE IRCC portal.
I am currently on a PGWP that is about to expire in October.

My question is:
Am I able to apply for a BOWP even though my nomination is employer-specific since my PGWP is an open work permit?
Since it would be the PGWP that is being "bridged" until my PR approval, wouldn't that make sense?

My research so far shows otherwise, but I just wanted to find out some other folks' experiences or advice.

If this IS possible, I would still need to wait for my AOR anyway, but I figured I would find out the answer regardless.
If confirmed that it isn't possible, I'll have to apply for the closed work permit through my employer with the work permit support letter from my OINP nomination.

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Hello everyone,

I've researched this question quite a bit online, and I THINK I have the answer - which I don't really like...
But I just wanted double-check with everyone here.

My situation:
I have an OINP nomination (restricted to my employer).
I recently submitted my PNC PR application through the non-EE IRCC portal.
I am currently on a PGWP that is about to expire in October.

My question is:
Am I able to apply for a BOWP even though my nomination is employer-specific since my PGWP is an open work permit?
Since it would be the PGWP that is being "bridged" until my PR approval, wouldn't that make sense?

My research so far shows otherwise, but I just wanted to find out some other folks' experiences or advice.

If this IS possible, I would still need to wait for my AOR anyway, but I figured I would find out the answer regardless.
If confirmed that it isn't possible, I'll have to apply for the closed work permit through my employer with the work permit support letter from my OINP nomination.
No you are not eligible for BOWP as you have employer restrictions on your nomination certificate. Only option is to apply for closed work permit through employer. Your employer have to submit job offer in employer portal and pay $230 fees. You have to put that job number in work permit application form and attach WPSL , nomination letter and other documents.

dwcho

Apr 27, 2020
No you are not eligible for BOWP as you have employer restrictions on your nomination certificate. Only option is to apply for closed work permit through employer. Your employer have to submit job offer in employer portal and pay $230 fees. You have to put that job number in work permit application form and attach WPSL , nomination letter and other documents.
That's what I feared...
Thank you for the quick reply, Miss Bee.
Perhaps you have some insight into another question I had.
I'll copy the question below as well as the link to my post about it.

"
Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding "implied status" moving from PGWP to an employer-specific work permit.
Is there a PGWP-specific exception to the "implied status?"
Or is it the same as any other work permit to new work permit "implied status?"

What I mean is:
Am I able to continue working under the same conditions of my current PGWP while I await the approval of my employer-specific work permit application?

"

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pgwp-to-employer-specific-work-permit.857433/

Thanks in advance!