+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP Refused: Whats my next move.

Ajay242

Jun 30, 2018
My PGWP was refused, because they could not prove I continuously studied full time in Canada and have completed a program of study that is at least eight months. I was in a Canadian University from 2009-2014 then I had to leave and go back home in my last semester with only 3 courses left to complete because of financial reasons. I came back this year after working during the break and finish in April 2018. I didn't submit my transcript along with the application I was told it would not of matter anyway by an international adviser. I currently have a full time job right now. Should i tell them my situation and leave? Also my Adviser said i have another option which is the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program for international students. I really don't want to lose my job I love Canada anyone was in my situation before or have any suggestion ?

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
One of the express entry programs, get a LMIA or more studies. Depending on what your status is you probably have to leave at least temporarily.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You were correctly refused since your studies were not continuous. One of the basic requirements for qualify for a PGWP is that your studies must be continuous.

I'm not sure I see any options that will allow you to remain in Canada and continue working full time without a break.

If your employer is willing to go through the LMIA process and can get an approved LMIA, you could then apply for a closed work permit. However this process takes months and you'll need to stop working long before that.

You can apply through Ontario if you qualify. But again, I don't think you'll be able to do this and continue working. You simply don't have enough time. If you want to remain in Canada while the application is processed, you'll need to convert your status to a visitor visa pretty soon (and stop working).

If you want to qualify for a PGWP, you'll need to go back to school full time and finish a program that's at least 8 months long (an 8 month program will get you an 8 month PGWP - you won't get any credit for your previous studies). You obviously won't be able to work full time while studying.

Reactions: Tete

Ajay242

Jun 30, 2018
Since my PGWP was refused and my status as a student hasn't expired yet. Can I still work until those 90 days are up?

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
If your permit is still valid you might be able to get a study permit extension if you can get admission anywhere and are willing to study. Consult a professional expert/lawyer I'm not sure about timelines.

Gurjeet101

Jul 12, 2018
Since my PGWP was refused and my status as a student hasn't expired yet. Can I still work until those 90 days are up?
My pgwp was also refused within 90 days period because i sent them a wrong document in place of completion of study document, so to ask if i can work while I’m on student isa, I called at CIC call Center and the agent told me that i can work for 2 days a week.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
My pgwp was also refused within 90 days period because i sent them a wrong document in place of completion of study document, so to ask if i can work while I’m on student isa, I called at CIC call Center and the agent told me that i can work for 2 days a week.
Thats odd, just apply again if you are still within time limit and then you can work full time, see your schools international office first for correct documents.

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
You can only work full time after you submit a PGWP application within the expiration of your Study Permit. I believe you cannot work at all on your study permit if you did not apply for a PGWP because after graduating, you are not considered a full time student anymore and one of the conditions on your study permit is that you must a full time student attending school in order to be allowed to work part time and full time during breaks.

Gurjeet101

Jul 12, 2018
You can only work full time after you submit a PGWP application within the expiration of your Study Permit. I believe you cannot work at all on your study permit if you did not apply for a PGWP because after graduating, you are not considered a full time student anymore and one of the conditions on your study permit is that you must a full time student attending school in order to be allowed to work part time and full time during breaks.
Really!!! I don’t know why the lady at call centre told me that after refusal your status has changed to a student and now you can only work for 20 hours a week till you don’t apply for the pgwp again. I filed my pgwp within 2 days but i worked for those 2 days as i have a permanent job. Now, I’m really worried. I filled my PGWP second time on 5th july 2018 and I’m still waiting for the result. Though i called on CIC call centre again to ask for the processing time and the agent was really good, he checked my file for me and told me that everything looks fine, as this time I’ve submitted my graduation letter the official transcripts and the degree that was awarded to me. I’m expecting the best.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html#off-campus

Off-campus work and completion of a program of studies

Students who have not applied for a subsequent study or work permit or a program of study

Students may work off campus on a part-time basis if the following applies:

• they meet the eligibility criteria to work off campus [R186(v)]
  • they have completed the final academic requirements for their program of study but have not yet received written confirmation of program completion from their institution (for instance, a transcript, an official letter or an email)
  • they have not applied for a work permit (for instance, a post-graduation work permit or a work permit with a valid Labour Market Impact Assessment) or a study permit extension or enrolled in a subsequent program of study
They may work until the first date they receive written confirmation of program completion from their educational institution (for instance, an email, a letter, a transcript or a diploma), provided their study permit remains valid during this period.

Dorsy

Aug 22, 2018
Really!!! I don’t know why the lady at call centre told me that after refusal your status has changed to a student and now you can only work for 20 hours a week till you don’t apply for the pgwp again. I filed my pgwp within 2 days but i worked for those 2 days as i have a permanent job. Now, I’m really worried. I filled my PGWP second time on 5th july 2018 and I’m still waiting for the result. Though i called on CIC call centre again to ask for the processing time and the agent was really good, he checked my file for me and told me that everything looks fine, as this time I’ve submitted my graduation letter the official transcripts and the degree that was awarded to me. I’m expecting the best.
Hi please was your work permit approved on your second try?

LuXar

Mar 13, 2018
You got pgwp ?

17ha15

Oct 15, 2018
My PGWP was refused, because they could not prove I continuously studied full time in Canada and have completed a program of study that is at least eight months. I was in a Canadian University from 2009-2014 then I had to leave and go back home in my last semester with only 3 courses left to complete because of financial reasons. I came back this year after working during the break and finish in April 2018. I didn't submit my transcript along with the application I was told it would not of matter anyway by an international adviser. I currently have a full time job right now. Should i tell them my situation and leave? Also my Adviser said i have another option which is the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program for international students. I really don't want to lose my job I love Canada anyone was in my situation before or have any suggestion ?
Hi, how much time did you leave Canada and returned to continue your studies? More than one year for absence??