+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP problem

rahulbiotech

Oct 8, 2015
Hi there! I'm in a serious problem regarding my status in Canada. To give ya brief detail about my problem, I came to Canada in 2013 and by 205 I finished my course but unfortunately due to an admin issue at my school, I couldn't get a course completion certificate in time and my permits expired. The school offered me a document explaining it's not my fault but theirs so that I could apply for PGWP for 3 years. I went to the border with my documents and the CsBA offered me something of a Temporary resident permit to apply for a study permit and work permit together so as to get a PGWP. Now what went wrong was, wishing 90 days of my graduation I applied for the permit but it took forever for me to get it in APril. The problem was that my PGWP was only valid until April 4 2017 and I got a extension on my TRp for just one year. I was also told that I would not get any extension on my TRP and I would have to leave Canada by the 4th of APR 2017.
I spoke to a CIC agent last year and she told me to apply for work permit again with all supporting documents and I would get my work permit. Unfortunately before applying another CIC agent earlier this week told me that I would not get an extension and I would have to leave because an agent had made a decision on my file. How do I go about this problem? Is it solvable or I need an immigration lawyer. I feel robbed of my Canadian experience and I am not sure about the next course of action. Please advise.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I think your situation is far too complicated to get advice on a public forum. I would hire a good immigration lawyer to assist you.

rahulbiotech

Oct 8, 2015
I'm really confused about this problem as the TRP was issued to me due to Section 24 of the immigration and refugee control. I am confused and Im planning to apply for PR through express entry (Federal Skilled worker). But the concern is would I get a bridge open work permit? I'm writing my ielts on FEB 11 and plan to get invited by march (given I score really well in IELTS). I have a job offer from an employer and previous work experience of a year. I don't know if it will work out that way. On the contrary I was planning on going to the border to explain my problem and understand their outlook

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
CBSA (border officials) are not CIC. You cannot rely on them to give you advice on immigration matters such as BOWPs and applying for FSW. Again, best to engage a qualified immigration lawyer if you need help.

You need to be holding a valid work permit in order to qualify for a BOWP. You need to set up your EE profile, receive your ITA, submit your application and receive confirmation that your application has been accepted before you can apply for a BOWP. You must be holding a valid work permit at that time.

Note that your employer must obtain an approved LMIA if you want job offer points in your Express Entry profile.

rahulbiotech

Oct 8, 2015
Thank you for your reply. This might be useful for anyone, I have 2 options in my case :
1. Apply for PR by qualifying (which I am doing) because I have work experience from my home country.
2. Leave the country and apply for PGWP with an offer letter explaining the incidents (not guaranteed; its my backup plan).

I have inquired about this with more than one immigration lawyer.

My points are at 480-490 depending on my Ielts and I am applying through Federal Skilled Worker program through the express entry mode.

I will keep you guys posted and thanks for all your help.