+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP - Overstayed study permit 30+ days after expiry, but within 180 days. Options?

breathinghard

Sep 6, 2024
Hi all, it turns out that my study permit has expired for 30+ days (final grades were 125 days ago, but completion letter was this month), so I am not sure what options are.
I am still within the 180 day window for PGWP, its my study permit validity and the overstaying that is the problem.

My understanding is that I either apply:
A) Inside Canada - Apply for PGWP + restoration of status (visitor? student/worker? not sure), along with letter of explaination. Then wait inside Canada while application processes.
B) Outside Canada - Apply for PGWP only (no restoration, despite staying in Canada past the study permit expiry date). Then wait outside Canada while application processes.

Is this right? I want to ask someone at IRCC, but i couldn't find an option to ask about PGWP in the automated call list.

Last edited:

forevermore76

May 19, 2024
Hi all, it turns out that my study permit has expired for 30+ days (final grades were 125 days ago, but completion letter was this month), so I am not sure what options are.
I am still within the 180 day window for PGWP, its my study permit validity and the overstaying that is the problem.

My understanding is that I either apply:
A) Inside Canada - Apply for PGWP + restoration of status (visitor? student/worker? not sure), along with letter of explaination. Then wait inside Canada while application processes.
B) Outside Canada - Apply for PGWP only (no restoration, despite staying in Canada past the study permit expiry date). Then wait outside Canada while application processes.

Is this right? I want to ask someone at IRCC, but i couldn't find an option to ask about PGWP in the automated call list.
Probably B is your best bet because you can't work while waiting for PGWP as your study permit expired.
The overstay and what your activity was during overstay might affect your PGWP application too.

breathinghard

Sep 6, 2024
Probably B is your best bet because you can't work while waiting for PGWP as your study permit expired.
The overstay and what your activity was during overstay might affect your PGWP application too.
Yeah, I think so too. For the overstaying period, I did not work or study, but I was still active on my school's co-op job board as I was still sending out job applications (as part of my coop program requirements, which I only withdrew from later).

But I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do option B since I overstayed past the SP expiry, on the site it says

If you don’t change your status to visitor and your study permit expires, you have up to 90 days after your study permit expires to apply for a PGWP and restore your status as a student.

To restore your status as a student, you must

• apply online for your PGWP and pay the correct fee ($255), and
  • pay the fee to restore your status as a student ($379)
You can’t work until your study permit and work permit have been approved. Find out if you meet the other requirements to work while we process your application.

If you don’t apply within 90 days, or if 90 days have already passed, you must leave Canada.
which I can't make out if that means I'm supposed to stay in Canada to apply the restoration of (student status, even though I've already graduated which is strange) along with the PGWP, and then leave after the 90 days from SP expiry date (regardless if I've sent a restoration of status application or not)

Last edited: