+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP independent Contractor Experience

asif.ahmed

Jan 15, 2017
Hello,

I graduated from Canadian university in 2015 (4 year undergrad) and have 1 year experience as an independent contractor in Canada. I am aware the work experience does not count under CEC.I am told that I can make it count under FSW.

I have worked in a different contract position for the past 7 months (but F/T with Tax/CI/CPP deducted from my paycheck) and just landed a Full Time Position last month.

Will I be able to apply under FSW and will my Full Time Offer (no LMIA) waive the proof of fund requirement?

The other option I have is wait till end of Feb 2018 to hit 1 year experience mark and then open EE profile. But my PGWP expires Aug 2018 and its too close for comfort for me.

Would love to hear any advice you guys have.

velociraptor

Jul 14, 2017
Hello,

I know this is an old thread, but I am in a similar situation.

I am on a 3 yr PGWP and I have received a 1099 contract from a US company. I wanted to know how you went about the process of becoming an independent contractor on a PGWP. Did you incorporate yourself ? I looked into this route but it says that at least 25% of the directors need to be Canadian residents.

Or did you just accept income through the 1099 contract and declare taxes as income received?

You reply will be much appreciated.

Thanks so much.

NPD