+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP extension

SA1526

Dec 21, 2020
Hello,
I applied for an extension of a post-graduate work permit (PWGP) on the 7th of June, 2020 with a new passport because I was only given 6 months based on the validity of the old passport. At the time when I applied, I was in Qatar and I wanted to apply on paper, but the Canada visa application center was closed due to COVID-19 from the 15th of March until the 1st of July. The expiry date of my PGWP was on the 15th of May and that was a primary reason for not applying before the PGWP expires. Then, I knew from the CIC website that I can only apply for a work permit online due to COVID-19. I did that and my application was refused. Is there any way to appeal the decision made?

I wanted to know what I should do from my end to restore my status in Canada and get my PGWP. I worked really hard to get my PGWP and I don't want my journey to end early. Please, any recommendation or guidance towards getting my PGWP is much appreciated

SA1526

Dec 21, 2020
Why was it refused?
This is what is said in the correspondence letter that I received today

" I am refusing your application on the following grounds:
• 201 (1) A foreign national may apply for the renewal of their work permit if
(a) the application is made before their work permit expires "

Any idea on how to resolve this issue. It is all because of COVID-19

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
This is what is said in the correspondence letter that I received today

" I am refusing your application on the following grounds:
• 201 (1) A foreign national may apply for the renewal of their work permit if
(a) the application is made before their work permit expires "

Any idea on how to resolve this issue. It is all because of COVID-19
Suggest filing an online app, explaining your situation.
A detailed letter of explanation can help.
Again, nothing guaranteed.

SA1526

Dec 21, 2020
Suggest filing an online app, explaining your situation.
A detailed letter of explanation can help.
Again, nothing guaranteed.
What if I apply on paper this time along with a letter fo explanation? Don't you think the reason fo rejection is that I submitted online

SA1526

Dec 21, 2020

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Unfortunately, I am not eligible to apply for restoration of status because I am outside Canada at the moment
Then you have to ask for reconsideration but the issue is that you applied when your PGWP expired. You had to apply before expiration and you could have done it online.

SA1526

Dec 21, 2020
Then you have to ask for reconsideration but the issue is that you applied when your PGWP expired. You had to apply before expiration and you could have done it online.
They would refuse it. Extension of PGWP must be on paper and submit all the require documents to visa application center. The center was close down back then.
Then, someone told me that you can apply online but that was after the expiration of PGWP

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
They would refuse it. Extension of PGWP must be on paper and submit all the require documents to visa application center. The center was close down back then.
Then, someone told me that you can apply online but that was after the expiration of PGWP
Seek guidance from a Canadian lawyer because you are no longer in the country. Also you are 7 months past expiry so aren’t even eligible to apply for a PGWP anymore.

SA1526

Dec 21, 2020
Seek guidance from a Canadian lawyer because you are no longer in the country. Also you are 7 months past expiry so aren’t even eligible to apply for a PGWP anymore.
It has been 7 month because it took them 6 months to process my application and I got the decision yesterday. The VISA application center was closed from March to July and my expiration date was in May. How am I supposed to renew it then. I hope a lawyer can solve my problem!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
It has been 7 month because it took them 6 months to process my application and I got the decision yesterday. The VISA application center was closed from March to July and my expiration date was in May. How am I supposed to renew it then. I hope a lawyer can solve my problem!
Talk to the law firm that runs this forum (Campbell Cohen).

jlaureanne

Oct 22, 2020
You can’t apply for an extension if it expired. You have to restore your status so follow the instructions in the link. You will also need a TRV & that takes about 200 days.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/restoration-status.html
Hi, Naturgrl,

I was hoping if you could help me answer some questions regarding the PGWP extension. I have been leaving comments on so many threads, but it seems everyone is inactive. I was looking for a more recent thread that talks about this situation.

I was only given 6 months for PGWP, and I need to ask for an extension before April 2021. Do I need to apply paper or online?

I hope you will reply. I have more questions about this.

Thank you

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi, Naturgrl,

I was hoping if you could help me answer some questions regarding the PGWP extension. I have been leaving comments on so many threads, but it seems everyone is inactive. I was looking for a more recent thread that talks about this situation.

I was only given 6 months for PGWP, and I need to ask for an extension before April 2021. Do I need to apply paper or online?

I hope you will reply. I have more questions about this.

Thank you
Any changes to the PGWP must be done on paper as stated in the link.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/apply.html#extend