+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP expiring, what can I do?

wjkong23

Jul 25, 2024
Hi everyone,

I'm going through a stressful moment with my visa status. I'm a South Korean passport holder with a PGWP expiring on August 9th, 2024. I'm currently unemployed. In order to extend my stay in Canada, I've applied and gotten an ITA for a Working Holiday Visa. I've submitted my documents on June 7th but I have yet to hear back from them about the result.

To be able to stay in Canada legally, I'm thinking of applying for a Visitor Record before my PGWP expires so I can at least extend my stay in Canada for another 6 month. Apparently, I can't apply for a Visitor Record if my current permit expires.

Does anyone know if I can apply for a Visitor Record given that my Working Holiday Visa is currently being processed?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi everyone,

I'm going through a stressful moment with my visa status. I'm a South Korean passport holder with a PGWP expiring on August 9th, 2024. I'm currently unemployed. In order to extend my stay in Canada, I've applied and gotten an ITA for a Working Holiday Visa. I've submitted my documents on June 7th but I have yet to hear back from them about the result.

To be able to stay in Canada legally, I'm thinking of applying for a Visitor Record before my PGWP expires so I can at least extend my stay in Canada for another 6 month. Apparently, I can't apply for a Visitor Record if my current permit expires.

Does anyone know if I can apply for a Visitor Record given that my Working Holiday Visa is currently being processed?
If you PGWP expires on Aug 9, you are still a temp working and I don't understand why you cannot extend your stay as a visitor before Aug 9. (visitor record)

wjkong23

Jul 25, 2024
If you PGWP expires on Aug 9, you are still a temp working and I don't understand why you cannot extend your stay as a visitor before Aug 9. (visitor record)
The only concern I had was whether the fact that I've applied for a Working Holiday visa would impact my eligibility to apply for a Visitor Record.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
The only concern I had was whether the fact that I've applied for a Working Holiday visa would impact my eligibility to apply for a Visitor Record.
That I don't know. Most working holiday visas are applied from home country.