+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pgwp expiring refugee claim?

jrmba1

Sep 25, 2024
What is the process to claim refugee for workers in canada? do you just apply online or have to go to the border? my wp expires in 2 weeks, lmia is not an option, and pr score is very low so that's the only option now. Is there any specific claim type which has higher success rate? and can you continue to work? Thx

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What is the process to claim refugee for workers in canada? do you just apply online or have to go to the border? my wp expires in 2 weeks, lmia is not an option, and pr score is very low so that's the only option now. Is there any specific claim type which has higher success rate? and can you continue to work? Thx
Do you have solid grounds for a refugee claim? The fact your PGWP is expiring and you cannot get an LMIA is not grounds for filing a refugee claim.

You would apply online, not at the border.

You would need to stop working once your PGWP expired and wait until a WP is grated to you as an asylum seeker.

Be aware that one you file a refugee claim, you won't be able to apply for PR through an economic immigration program like CEC / Express Entry.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You cannot work so stop working. Once asylum claim is made then you apply for a work permit and you cannot work until WP is granted.

jrmba1

Sep 25, 2024
Do you have solid grounds for a refugee claim? The fact your PGWP is expiring and you cannot get an LMIA is not grounds for filing a refugee claim.

You would apply online, not at the border.

You would need to stop working once your PGWP expired and wait until a WP is grated to you as an asylum seeker.

Be aware that one you file a refugee claim, you won't be able to apply for PR through an economic immigration program like CEC / Express Entry.
do you know what would be solid ground? from what i know pgwp cannot be extended? i don't qualify for pr. thx

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
do you know what would be solid ground? from what i know pgwp cannot be extended? i don't qualify for pr. thx
You can't create grounds for a refugee claim. There need to be real grounds for why you are claiming which you can prove with evidence. What are the reasons why you cannot return to your home country?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
should refugee application not give implied status to continue working? thx
You are claiming asylum not going on maintained status. Claim has to be accepted for you to get a work permit.When you file you will provide documentation that you will face persecution/imprisonment when you return. So show threatening emails, medical/doctor/police reports on abuse. Show that you cannot move to another part of the country.

Once you make a claim, you are not eligible for any immigration programs like EE or PNP. It may take months to get a work permit if claim is accepted.

jrmba1

Sep 25, 2024
You can't create grounds for a refugee claim. There need to be real grounds for why you are claiming which you can prove with evidence. What are the reasons why you cannot return to your home country?
how are other people claiming refugee so easily then? they also said in news 13000 students received refugee. i asked people and they said claim as minority as it has high chance. thx

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
how are other people claiming refugee so easily then? they also said in news 13000 students received refugee. i asked people and they said claim as minority as it has high chance. thx
Doesn’t mean those 13k are being accepted. Almost all will be refused. Most are waiting for refusal and not working. So if you are a minority in your country show that you will face persecution on return. Show your documentation for proof, emails threatening your life. Explain that you can move to other parts of your country. You need proof not just being a minority.

Reactions: jk2ca10

jrmba1

Sep 25, 2024
Doesn’t mean those 13k are being accepted. Almost all will be refused. Most are waiting for refusal and not working. So if you are a minority in your country show that you will face persecution on return. Show your documentation for proof, emails threatening your life. Explain that you can move to other parts of your country. You need proof not just being a minority.
so what is the point if you cannot work? the documentation is hard to provide but there is discrimination in general. this is not easy, i spent all the money to come here and no way to stay now.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
so what is the point if you cannot work? the documentation is hard to provide but there is discrimination in general. this is not easy, i spent all the money to come here and no way to stay now.
Claiming asylum doesn’t guarantee work at all and is not the point of asylum. You are asking the government for PR in the future based on the persecution you will face on your return home. The work permit is issued for viable claims so work is not the intention but having a safe place to live in work in the future.

jrmba1

Sep 25, 2024
Claiming asylum doesn’t guarantee work at all and is not the point of asylum. You are asking the government for PR in the future based on the persecution you will face on your return home. The work permit is issued for viable claims so work is not the intention but having a safe place to live in work in the future.
so i am screwed? do you know how much time can i buy by applying for pgwp extension? someone told me they applied for pgwp extension on paper and keep working is that true? if i get 7 months i can get my score for pr. thx

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You may want to consult with a lawyer. I think you said you know people who have done this successfully. Did they work with a lawyer? Maybe consult with them?

Generally speaking, you want to show that you yourself have been the victim of discrimination and it should be at a level serious enough to warrant the refugee claim - i.e. your life is in danger, you are persecuted. There are some cases where a person can be successful with a claim with generalized evidence however this is more difficult generally.

The refugee claim cannot be economic bases, meaning you want to stay because you spent money. It has to be based on persecution. Another challenge you may face is why you are only claiming refugee status now and why you didn't file a claim earlier if your claim is genuine. This can result in a minister intervention. The late claim makes your situation more challenging.

Work permits are granted with refugee claims but you may not receive yours immediately. To the best of my knowledge you do not get implied status but wait for others here to comment.

Good luck.

Reactions: Naturgrl