+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP Expires 4 months after receiving it

strachanm

Sep 30, 2024
Hey everyone, I applied for my PGWP in August with my old passport which expires in January 2025. While a decision was being made, I renewed the passport and submitted the renewed passport along with a copy of the old one through webform, this was almost 2 weeks ago. I received an acceptance for my PGWP on Friday, but it was administered to my old passport, so the expiration of my PGWP is also in 4 months from now. I'm super stressed about this situation, as I just relocated to northern Quebec for my dream job.

What do I do? Is this a mistake from immigration's part for ignoring the webform, or do I need to apply for a PGWP extension to conform with my new passport? Please help!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
To extend PGWP, you must apply to extend it via paper application. Not IRCC’s mistake because webform is not the way to extend it.

strachanm

Sep 30, 2024
To extend PGWP, you must apply to extend it via paper application. Not IRCC’s mistake because webform is not the way to extend it.
Hey, thanks for your response :)! Do you know if IRCC issues a new temporary extension like they do the first time one applies for the PGWP (WP-EXT)? I looked online but couldn't find any links or direct responses for that.

For the webform, imm. Canada's page shows that you can update on-going applications via webform, this includes passport changes (How can I update or ask about an IRCC application in progress? (canada.ca) ). It may not be their fault, but it is kind of misleading to include this on your website and not apply it while applications are being processed :confused:. If I can give advice to anyone regarding this process, make sure to renew your passport before applying, there isn't a guarantee they will update your file (I'm learning that the hard way).

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hey, thanks for your response :)! Do you know if IRCC issues a new temporary extension like they do the first time one applies for the PGWP (WP-EXT)? I looked online but couldn't find any links or direct responses for that.

For the webform, imm. Canada's page shows that you can update on-going applications via webform, this includes passport changes (How can I update or ask about an IRCC application in progress? (canada.ca) ). It may not be their fault, but it is kind of misleading to include this on your website and not apply it while applications are being processed :confused:. If I can give advice to anyone regarding this process, make sure to renew your passport before applying, there isn't a guarantee they will update your file (I'm learning that the hard way).
Not sure how it is confusing or misleading. You cannot update through webform.

If you need to extend your PGWP or change its conditions
You must apply on paper if you’re extending or changing the conditions of your PGWP. You can only extend your PGWP if your passport expired before your PGWP’s validity period.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/apply.html#extend