+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP application while on maintained status

qweeeen

Jan 22, 2024
Hello everyone

I've recently completed my program and my study permit expired on July 30th. I applied for a new program and a study permit extension on July 18th so I'm currently on maintained status.

I've recently received a job offer that I'd like to accept, so I'm considering applying for a PGWP instead of continuing my studies. However, I've read that if I apply for a PGWP while on maintained status, I won't be allowed to work until the PGWP is approved, which could take 4-6 months. I'm trying to figure out my best course of action.

Here are my questions:
1. Can I start working part-time while waiting for the approval of my study permit extension and then apply for my PGWP as soon as the extension is approved?
2. Is it possible to apply for the PGWP now and later withdraw the application if my study permit extension is approved faster and apply for PGWP again if it within the 180-day window?
3. Do I need to defer or cancel my new program if I don't plan to study? If I do this, will it affect the approval of my study permit extension?

I appreciate any advice or similar experiences you can share. Thank you!

forevermore76

May 19, 2024
Hello everyone

I've recently completed my program and my study permit expired on July 30th. I applied for a new program and a study permit extension on July 18th so I'm currently on maintained status.

I've recently received a job offer that I'd like to accept, so I'm considering applying for a PGWP instead of continuing my studies. However, I've read that if I apply for a PGWP while on maintained status, I won't be allowed to work until the PGWP is approved, which could take 4-6 months. I'm trying to figure out my best course of action.

Here are my questions:
1. Can I start working part-time while waiting for the approval of my study permit extension and then apply for my PGWP as soon as the extension is approved?
2. Is it possible to apply for the PGWP now and later withdraw the application if my study permit extension is approved faster and apply for PGWP again if it within the 180-day window?
3. Do I need to defer or cancel my new program if I don't plan to study? If I do this, will it affect the approval of my study permit extension?

I appreciate any advice or similar experiences you can share. Thank you!
Withdraw your study permit application. Apply for PGWP along with restoration of status. No, you can't work until PGWP is approved as you'll be out of status once you withdraw study permit application.

qweeeen

Jan 22, 2024
Withdraw your study permit application. Apply for PGWP along with restoration of status. No, you can't work until PGWP is approved as you'll be out of status once you withdraw study permit application.
Isn't it better to wait for my study permit extension to be approved since it's already been a month? Then, I can apply for the PGWP within the 180-day window, allowing me to work while I wait. If I apply for the PGWP now, I won't be able to study or work at all, but right now, I can at least work part-time and continue studying.

forevermore76

May 19, 2024
Isn't it better to wait for my study permit extension to be approved since it's already been a month? Then, I can apply for the PGWP within the 180-day window, allowing me to work while I wait. If I apply for the PGWP now, I won't be able to study or work at all, but right now, I can at least work part-time and continue studying.
If you can get a decision. Also, it's 180 days from day your final results are posted

forevermore76

May 19, 2024
do you know if I can start a new program and work part-time while I wait for the decision?
If you’re starting a new study program
You can work full-time if you meet all of these requirements:

• You were already able to work off campus during your previous studies
  • You have a valid study permit or you applied to extend your study permit before it expired
  • You received written confirmation from your current school that you completed your program
  • You received a letter of acceptance to a new full-time study program at a DLI
  • You’ll start your new program within 150 calendar days of receiving the confirmation that you completed your previous program

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/work-off-campus.html

qweeeen

Jan 22, 2024
since I'm starting a new program in September, do you think I can work part-time while I wait for my study permit extension, and apply for the PGWP at the same time? Can I later reapply for the PGWP if my study permit extension is approved so I can work full-time? or if my PGWP gets approved while I have a study permit extension application, can I start working full-time and stop studying?