+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP and SOWP - ways to keep spouse's job

nana300000

Apr 10, 2017
Hello,
I am an international student finishing a 2-years Master's degree at University of Toronto (the official program end is August 31, but I will receive a letter that I completed my studies next week, and planning to apply for PGWP in the beginning of August).

My spouse currently holds an Open Work Permit as a spouse of international student, and it is valid to the length of my study permit, the end of November 2019.
I wanted to know what happens now - if I am employed and have 3 salary slips we could apply for his SOWP. However, I am not sure until when his work permit is LEGALLY valid, as it depends on my status as a student. Does it remain valid until end of November 2019? or is it valid only until 90 days after my completion of studies? (in this case, end of October?) or does it loose it's validity immediately after I completed my studies?
Ideally he could continue working continuously if he applies before November 2019 (and I am employed and have 3 salary slips), but we weren't sure if he could continue using his current open work permit even after I am no longer a student...

Thanks!

Reactions: djcheema

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,
I am an international student finishing a 2-years Master's degree at University of Toronto (the official program end is August 31, but I will receive a letter that I completed my studies next week, and planning to apply for PGWP in the beginning of August).

My spouse currently holds an Open Work Permit as a spouse of international student, and it is valid to the length of my study permit, the end of November 2019.
I wanted to know what happens now - if I am employed and have 3 salary slips we could apply for his SOWP. However, I am not sure until when his work permit is LEGALLY valid, as it depends on my status as a student. Does it remain valid until end of November 2019? or is it valid only until 90 days after my completion of studies? (in this case, end of October?) or does it loose it's validity immediately after I completed my studies?
Ideally he could continue working continuously if he applies before November 2019 (and I am employed and have 3 salary slips), but we weren't sure if he could continue using his current open work permit even after I am no longer a student...

Thanks!
His OWP remains valid until it expires. He can apply for an extension once you have a skilled job and 3 payslips.

nana300000

Apr 10, 2017
OK, in any case I'm applying as soon as possible, but it's good to know that he can apply while mine PGWP is in process. Thank you!

yrisojaded

Aug 1, 2019
Hi. I just wanted to add sth I read on another query on this forum about the job group of the spouse seeking the PGWP, if you are 0, A or B you're all set but anything below that might be tricky. Wishing you the best..

Maxsharma12

Jun 26, 2014
Hi. I just wanted to add sth I read on another query on this forum about the job group of the spouse seeking the PGWP, if you are 0, A or B you're all set but anything below that might be tricky. Wishing you the best..
You 're right. The job should fall under NOC O, A or B only.

djcheema

Apr 13, 2020
Hello,

Thanks!
Hi,

We have the same situation so can you please let us know that you applied SOWP after your PGWP application approval or when your application was in process.

My Profile:-
Study Completion: Dec 2019
Study Permit Valid till Nov 2020
Spouse OWP Valid till Nov 2020 as well
I am working full-time (NOC- A, and have salary slips) Since January 2020 after submitted my PGWP application
Still waiting for approval for PGWP so can I apply SOWP while my PGWP application in process?

pemyrie

May 15, 2009
I applied after for my spouse's permit after I received my PGWP. When applying for the Spouse they ask for a copy of your permit (back and front) and that's why I waited.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

We have the same situation so can you please let us know that you applied SOWP after your PGWP application approval or when your application was in process.

I am working full-time (NOC- A, and have salary slips) Since January 2020 after submitted my PGWP application
Still waiting for approval for PGWP so can I apply SOWP while my PGWP application in process?
No you need to wait until you get PGWP. Hopefully flagpoling May be an option once you get PGWP. You still have until November.

nana300000

Apr 10, 2017
Yeah, as was said above, no need to wait till your PGWP is approved to apply for SOWP. Don't know about flagpolling though - for this I would imagine you do need the physical documents.

For us we applied online before my PGWP was approved because my spouse's work permit was about to expire - but only after I had 3 salary slips that were obtained after the official date of the study completion/PGWP submission.
To his application we attached the confirmation of the online application of my PGWP, and in the LOE mentioned it again including all the numbers, and that it is still in process and the two applications are connected. Attached the required documents (letter from the employer, salary slips), and to be on the safe side also attached all the documents needed for my PGWP application.
When I got my PGWP approved - my spouse's SOWP application was still in process- we sent them a scan of the PGWP document (front and back) as new document to be added to the application (don't know if it was important or not, but just wanted to play safe).

Hi,

djcheema

Apr 13, 2020
Yeah, as was said above, no need to wait till your PGWP is approved to apply for SOWP. Don't know about flagpolling though - for this I would imagine you do need the physical documents.

For us we applied online before my PGWP was approved because my spouse's work permit was about to expire - but only after I had 3 salary slips that were obtained after the official date of the study completion/PGWP submission.
To his application we attached the confirmation of the online application of my PGWP, and in the LOE mentioned it again including all the numbers, and that it is still in process and the two applications are connected. Attached the required documents (letter from the employer, salary slips), and to be on the safe side also attached all the documents needed for my PGWP application.
When I got my PGWP approved - my spouse's SOWP application was still in process- we sent them a scan of the PGWP document (front and back) as new document to be added to the application (don't know if it was important or not, but just wanted to play safe).
Hi,

When u applied for SOWP ?

djcheema

Apr 13, 2020

hi,

Can u please send me LOE format for this situation ?
My Email : daljeetcheema@gmail.com