+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP and SOWP extension

DaddyJath

Jun 24, 2024
Hi everyone, I am new here. I am currently on a SOWP and have been working full-time in Alberta since December 2023. Although my SOWP expired in May 2024, I applied for an extension before its expiration date together with my spouse's PGWP to which we both received a 6 months temporary work permit extension letter. My questions are:

(1) is there anything I may have down wrong? I am currently the only one working full-time and my spouse is yet to secure a job since she graduated.
(2) Will I be getting a SOWP again if approved or will it be the unrestricted Open work permit (Not tied to my spouse)?
(3) Will I be able to qualify for the Alberta Opportunity Stream with my new work permit when approved? If I have made an error in this process, what can be done to remedy that error?

Thanks in Advance,

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone, I am new here. I am currently on a SOWP and have been working full-time in Alberta since December 2023. Although my SOWP expired in May 2024, I applied for an extension before its expiration date together with my spouse's PGWP to which we both received a 6 months temporary work permit extension letter. My questions are:

(1) is there anything I may have down wrong? I am currently the only one working full-time and my spouse is yet to secure a job since she graduated.
(2) Will I be getting a SOWP again if approved or will it be the unrestricted Open work permit (Not tied to my spouse)?
(3) Will I be able to qualify for the Alberta Opportunity Stream with my new work permit when approved? If I have made an error in this process, what can be done to remedy that error?

Thanks in Advance,
1) Yes, this was an error on your part. To extend, you needed to provide evidence your spouse has a job and needed to include 3 payslip to show this.
2) SOWP
3) I would first focus on fixing your current situation. You should expect your SOWP is going to be refused based on the application you have submitted. Does your spouse have a job now?

DaddyJath

Jun 24, 2024
1) Yes, this was an error on your part. To extend, you needed to provide evidence your spouse has a job and needed to include 3 payslip to show this.
2) SOWP
3) I would first focus on fixing your current situation. You should expect your SOWP is going to be refused based on the application you have submitted. Does your spouse have a job now?
No she doesn't. Still job hunting. graduated from Social service work diploma program from a college in Ontario and Just moved to Alberta

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Thanks in Advance,
Just saw that you said your spouse has yet to secure a job.

Your spouse needs to secure a job ASAP. You don't qualify for a SOWP extension if your spouse is not working. Once your spouse is working and has three payslip, submit the payslips and evidence of employment to IRCC ASAP and hope they will consider this additional evidence before making a decision in your application.

If your spouse cannot find a job or you are not able to update your application before IRCC makes a decision, the extension application is going to be refused which will put you out of status in Canada. You will also need to stop working immediately. You will then need to apply for restoration however won't be able to restore your status to a work permit without your spouse having a job. So very important for your spouse to get a job ASAP.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No she doesn't. Still job hunting. graduated from Social service work diploma program from a college in Ontario and Just moved to Alberta
See my follow up post. It's extremely important she secure a job ASAP. At this point you should be expecting your work permit extension to be refused.

DaddyJath

Jun 24, 2024
Thanks for the responses. If I am able to get my employer to give me an LMIA for a closed work permit, will that remedy my situation?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for the responses. If I am able to get my employer to give me an LMIA for a closed work permit, will that remedy my situation?
I'm not sure if it will in the short term since it takes time for LMIAs to be approved and IRCC may make a decision in the SOWP application soon. I think there's a decent chance you end up out of status regardless. However if your employer is willing to go through the LMIA process, then I would certainly go ahead and do that so that you have a backup plan. Good luck

DaddyJath

Jun 24, 2024
Ok. I will communication with my HR. As a back up, do you have any idea if I can proceed to renew/re-apply for my visitor visa even though I have a work permit extension application already in process? I am thinking if I get the visitor visa renewed, I can flag pole? I have a 5 years Valid US visa if that would help.

DaddyJath

Jun 24, 2024
I'm not sure if it will in the short term since it takes time for LMIAs to be approved and IRCC may make a decision in the SOWP application soon. I think there's a decent chance you end up out of status regardless. However if your employer is willing to go through the LMIA process, then I would certainly go ahead and do that so that you have a backup plan. Good luck
Ok. I will communication with my HR. As a back up, do you have any idea if I can proceed to renew/re-apply for my visitor visa even though I have a work permit extension application already in process? I am thinking if I get the visitor visa renewed, I can flag pole? I know flag poling for PGWP applicant has been stopped but do not know if this applies to visitors or cases like mine. I have a 5 years Valid US visa if that would help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ok. I will communication with my HR. As a back up, do you have any idea if I can proceed to renew/re-apply for my visitor visa even though I have a work permit extension application already in process? I am thinking if I get the visitor visa renewed, I can flag pole? I know flag poling for PGWP applicant has been stopped but do not know if this applies to visitors or cases like mine. I have a 5 years Valid US visa if that would help.
Do you mean applying for a new TRV since your has expired? TRVs cannot be renewed. You apply for a new one.

You can apply for a new TRV however if the the decision in the SOWP is made first and you end up out of status, flagpoling is not recommended.