+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP about to expire, and I didn't know about LMO. Am I in a big trouble?

lbelch

Aug 7, 2012
Hi. I'll try to analyse my situation as simple as I can.

- I've been on a Post-Graduate Work Permit since July, and have been working for a small company since September.

- The company is a bit like an entrepreneur-run business.

- I've been on a contract as a part-timer, and then promoted to a full-timer with proper payment so far.

- I have to extend my PGWP (I haven't received 3 years at once.)

- The online application asked me something new I haven't seen before, which is about Labour Market Opinion from my employer.

- I had no knowledge about LMO at all so far.

I really don't know what I'm supposed to do at the moment. I started working without anything involving LMO from my employer. Did I make a huge mistake and all my time and experience won't count for anything by any chance?

Also, does this mean I won't be able to renew my PGWP in time?..

I hope someone can help me understand what I can do for my situation..

Thank you!

jijuanair

Star Member
Dec 20, 2011
Hello,

These are the steps you have to do;

1.Apply for an LMO.(a letter from your employer stating filled up application form,your salary,job descriptions etc).(You dont havbe to advertise as you already are working on an PGWP)

2.It takes atleast 6 weeks to get a response.

3.Once you get a positive LMO , you can apply for your work-permit.

rosty2

Jul 5, 2012
Scarborough
Category........
Visa Office......
CCP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
june 8th 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
Oct 25th
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
March 2nd 2013
Med's Done....
March 4th 2013
Passport Req..
April 4th 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 17th 2013
LANDED..........
April 21st 2013
as a student you are entitled to a PGWP for 3 years if you were studying for at least 2 years full time. If the first PGWP you have received was not 3 years it was probably because of the passport expiry date. This shouldnt be a problem: have you already renewed your passport? If so apply to extend your stay. Write in letter that your are requesting the rest of your 3 years and you should be fine. the new version of the online application website should ask you to consent that it pulls over the data for your first pgwp application and it will ask you to just upload the scan of your passport. if it asking you sometging different then apply by courrier and send the letter printed, your copy of passport and the copy of your actual pgwp so that they see you are still entitled to the rest of these 3 years. it is after the 3 years that you need to apply for LMO but your employer won't have to demonstrate recruitment efforts

rosty2

Jul 5, 2012
Scarborough
Category........
Visa Office......
CCP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
june 8th 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
Oct 25th
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
March 2nd 2013
Med's Done....
March 4th 2013
Passport Req..
April 4th 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 17th 2013
LANDED..........
April 21st 2013
lbelch said:
Hi. I'll try to analyse my situation as simple as I can.

- I've been on a Post-Graduate Work Permit since July, and have been working for a small company since September.

- The company is a bit like an entrepreneur-run business.

- I've been on a contract as a part-timer, and then promoted to a full-timer with proper payment so far.

- I have to extend my PGWP (I haven't received 3 years at once.)

- The online application asked me something new I haven't seen before, which is about Labour Market Opinion from my employer.

- I had no knowledge about LMO at all so far.

I really don't know what I'm supposed to do at the moment. I started working without anything involving LMO from my employer. Did I make a huge mistake and all my time and experience won't count for anything by any chance?

Also, does this mean I won't be able to renew my PGWP in time?..

I hope someone can help me understand what I can do for my situation..

Thank you!
NVM buddy, I know why it is asking you the LMO. it is because in some part of the online application it is asking you what is your status in Canada and maybe you choosed worker(it is workers that enters with LMO). you should choose that your status is temporary resident permit(student, PGWP) and then after that it will ask for wich permit are applying to(you will have two choices at that step: student permit or worker permit) and therefore it wont ask you the LMO. Again postgraduate students don't need the LMO in their first 3 years as post grad to renew their permit, only renew your passport and upload. how I know that? I have been there I did that. If you are still confuse go meet with the agent in your university that advices for working permit ;)

lbelch

Aug 7, 2012
Thank you very much for your replies! I have applied and been waiting for check ups from the government!