+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGP- Coverage on Prescription Drugs

yourfather

Jan 31, 2018
Hi Folks,

I have sponsored my parents for PR and they could get their PR approved anytime soon. I had a question on the prescription drugs coverage for them, currently I have employment insurance that covers prescription drugs, vision and dental for me and my immediate family. I am not sure if they are covered under OHIP for prescription drugs or shud I purchase separate insurance for them? They are 59 and 65

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi Folks,

I have sponsored my parents for PR and they could get their PR approved anytime soon. I had a question on the prescription drugs coverage for them, currently I have employment insurance that covers prescription drugs, vision and dental for me and my immediate family. I am not sure if they are covered under OHIP for prescription drugs or shud I purchase separate insurance for them? They are 59 and 65
Read the eligibility requirements.

https://www.ontario.ca/check-medication-coverage/

Reactions: yourfather

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi Folks,

If you are asking about your extended health insurance from your employer, they do not cover parents. Parents are in general not referred as immediate family. Your extended health covers your children and spouse/common law partner.
I am not familiar with OHIP and Ontario benefits for seniors, so others may have more information.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Folks,

The 65 year old will have coverage through ODB for most drugs. There is a yearly deductible that they must meet and there is a fee per prescription but it is minimal. You are looking at paying cash for the 59 year old unless paying a huge amount on medication per year. Then they may qualify for a program to help with costs after paying a larger deductible first. Cost of medication and dental care plus tons of other things not covered by provincial insurance need to be factored in when sponsoring parents. For example with the very low LICO amounts most would not be able to afford the monthly bed fee of 1k+/month if their parent ended up in longterm care in the next 20 years (10 in Quebec)