+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permit at border

jrowland

Apr 14, 2014
I'm immigrating to Canada at the end of July; I have an offer for an LMO exempt temporary job, and I'm a US citizen. I gather all I'll need to apply at the port of entry is my passport, the offer letter, and proof of my qualifications. Three questions.

1) Will I need a "police clearance certificate"? Very few people seem to mention this, especially when coming from the US, and it's not that easy to get.

2) My wife is actually a Canadian citizen, but she is a permanent resident in the US, and it isn't clear yet how and when she will join me in Canada. Could this be a problem when I apply for the permit? I'm a little worried that they'll think that I'm trying to set up shop in Canada permanently, especially if my wife has a job in Canada by the time I actually do immigrate.

3) Per the offer letter, my job doesn't start until July. Can I get the permit before the job starts? For example, if I visit in May, can they issue it then? Obviously, the permit wouldn't be in effect until July, but I ask because I would like to get the permit so that I can get an SIN so that I can open a bank account, etc. before I finally move.

Thanks a lot!
Jon