+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permission to return

coco

May 8, 2007
I was previously in Canada as a refugee Claimant. I received a visa to enter the U.S.

I did not notify the CBSA/CIC when I departed as stipulated in my conditions of admission as a refugee protection claimant. i.e, I did not obtain/receive a certificate of departure.

This means that I would have to apply for permission to return. Do you know anyone who has successfully applied for permission to return? I'd prefer not to waste $$ & time if it is a futile exercise.

I'm a U.S greencard holder with a job, assets etc to show my ties in the states and intent to return at the end of my visit..

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

coco said:
I was previously in Canada as a refugee Claimant. I received a visa to enter the U.S.

I did not notify the CBSA/CIC when I departed as stipulated in my conditions of admission as a refugee protection claimant. i.e, I did not obtain/receive a certificate of departure.

This means that I would have to apply for permission to return. Do you know anyone who has successfully applied for permission to return? I'd prefer not to waste $$ & time if it is a futile exercise.

I'm a U.S greencard holder with a job, assets etc to show my ties in the states and intent to return at the end of my visit..
1. As you didn't report that you had left Canada, so it appears that your order has become an effective deportation order. If you haven't informed CBSA/CIC there is probably an arrest warrant out for you.
2. The chances of getting permission to visit Canada, are not really great, unless there is a very urgent reason.

PMM

coco

May 8, 2007
Thanx for your response.

I'm fully aware of the legal repercussions of a conditional departure holder's failure to report to the CBSA.
I faxed the CIC my change of address after I entered the U.S.

However, I was hoping to hear from someone who has experienced or knows someone who has applied for permission to return.

The Consulate General, Buffalo website has guidelines for applying. On paper, I'm a good candidate...but we all know what the reality is when it comes to immigration issues. That's why I'd want to hear from someone who knows that way I don't waste my hard earned $$ and time.

I don't have a pressing need to visit Canada, but hopefully I can get the freedom to visit when I feel like it.