+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

*Permenant resident from spousal sponsorship in need of PRTD*

Freddycyr

Dec 4, 2018
If you can answer any of these. Please inform me.

I am a Canadian citizen (from birth) and sponsor. My common-law partner (from the Netherlands) recently received her permanent residency status here in Canada through our spousal sponsorship (in june) but has yet to receive her permanent residency card and we are now outside of canada.

I was informed of 2 documents; imm5627e (the checklist) and imm5524e (the actual form) to apply for this PRTD (permanent residency travel document) to re-enter Canada. There are a few things about these forms that lead me to confusion.

1. In section 14 of imm5524e, do we actually have to fill this out if we only intend to stay for 2 weeks? The way I see it is that it's only an optional choice for if you want to count the days pertaining to the "residency obligation" whilst outside of Canada (the 730 days minimum in 5 years requirement to keep PR status) for people that intend to or stayed outside of Canada for a longer period. but I might be wrong.

2. If I need to fill this section (section 14 of imm5524e) and have to provide further information about our common-law relationship, would it be good to make a new imm5409 (The Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union) and notarize it again? I, unfortunately, sent the old one for the spousal sponsorship app. and didn't make a photocopy.

3. Also, just to make sure; is an "eTA" considered a travel document? Just a yes or no answer is fine.

4. Lastly, is it best to go to the Visa center in Vienna directly (if Vienna is the best option) to obtain that PTRD? Will it expedite the application and/or facilitate the process?

Thank you

Fred

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
FYI - eTA is certainly a travel document - however your partner's eTA is no longer valid now that she is a PR. She does in fact need either a valid PR card or a valid PR Travel Document to fly to Canada directly. The other option is to fly to the US and re-enter Canada through a land border.

Freddycyr

Dec 4, 2018
FYI - eTA is certainly a travel document - however your partner's eTA is no longer valid now that she is a PR. She does in fact need either a valid PR card or a valid PR Travel Document to fly to Canada directly. The other option is to fly to the US and re-enter Canada through a land border.
Yes, thank you Scylla for answering this. I was aware of that option but I felt like its risky. Could they not turn us around when we arrive at the states? Is there any extra documents that we should be considering if we are doing this (if we are able to reach the canadian border from the states)? And do you know if we can rent a car?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes, thank you Scylla for answering this. I was aware of that option but I felt like its risky. Could they not turn us around when we arrive at the states? Is there any extra documents that we should be considering if we are doing this (if we are able to reach the canadian border from the states)? And do you know if we can rent a car?
I can't comment on US immigration.

Canada will certainly not turn you around at the border. All you need to bring is the COPR.